No Audio with Micro Converter HDMI > SDI

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

nightdawn

No Audio with Micro Converter HDMI > SDI

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 8:43 am

Hi everybody,
I am facing a problem with the following setup, no audio is captured with the following workflow.
Sony PJ810 > Micro Converter HDMI > SDI 3G (USB-C model) > Magewell XI100DUSB-SDI (Gen 1)
Using also Bidirectional HDMI - SDI converter the result is the same.
This is the capture card link http://www.magewell.com/products/usb-capture-sdi-gen-2
Does somebody have any hint on this? I have lots of gen 1 dongles that do not work.
I already contacted Magewell for this but they couldn't help.

Now, here's what instead works:
Sony PJ810 > Micro Converter HDMI > SDI 3G (USB-C model) > Magewell USB Capture (Gen 2)
Sony PJ810 > Micro Converter HDMI > SDI 3G (USB-C model) > Decklink Quad 2
Sony PJ810 > Mini Converter HDMI > SDI 6G > Magewell XI100DUSB-SDI (Gen 1)
Panasonic Camera > Micro Converter HDMI > SDI 3G (USB-C model) > Magewell XI100DUSB-SDI (Gen 1)
Panasonic Camera > Micro Converter HDMI > SDI 3G (USB-C model) > Magewell USB Capture (Gen 2)

This keeps me confused, since I am unable to understand if the issue is in the Camera, or the BMD conversion, or something related to capture dongle.

Any hint or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Xtreemtec

Re: No Audio with Micro Converter HDMI > SDI

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 11:51 am

It is not your camera based on your Does work results!!

Your Gen1 is just not able to understand the Audio flags coming from the new micro converters. ;)
Your Gen2, Decklink had no issues with.

What i suspect is that your Sony cam is trowing 1080P50 / 60 out of the HDMI.
And your Panasonic interlaced 50... or something.. At least not that the converter sends out 3G-SDI..

And i have to measure it still but i have heared reports of wrong Payload id's in the SDI signal in 3G mode.. Which is not uncommon with BMD gear as they have had these issues in the past with other hardware.

So 2 ways to easy fix. Turn your framerate down on the camera or Interlaced output. Or use a different HDMI > SDI converter.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started