Decklink 4K 12G not enumerated in Windows 10

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rjameson

Decklink 4K 12G not enumerated in Windows 10

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm trying to install a Decklink 4K 12G Extreme in a newish computer with an Asus x570 motherboard, but it doesn't show up in Device Manager or anywhere else. The card is in a PCIe 4 16-lane slot which works fine for a Decklink Duo 2. When I install the 4K 12G card in a much older HP Xeon workstation with an Intel C602 chipset, it works fine. I've seen some posts that suggest that Blackmagic cards don't play well with Asus motherboards, but nothing definitive. I've also seen a post suggesting that removing a pull-up resistor from the Decklink card might solve the problem, but it was applicable to systems with two decklink cards, which isn't my situation. I have an Nvidia 3080 in the other PCIe 16 lane slot, in case that matters. I have power running to the Decklink card, and the fan spins. Any ideas?

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Decklink 4K 12G not enumerated in Windows 10

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 am

The Decklink Duo 2 only requires a 4x PCIe-lane, and although the slot may be physically 16x, the motherboard may have routed some of those lanes to other things.

Worth a check to verify this setting in the BIOS / UEFI or the manual. Consumer motherboards especially have this annoying design where the slot may be 16x, but you can never get full speed on the link.

rjameson

PostTue Sep 14, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks for the response. The PCIe slot the decklink card is in goes to the chipset, so while it's 16 lanes at the slot, it's going to bottleneck going to the processor. Nevertheless, I would expect the card to be detected by Windows.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 1:32 am

You don't see any indication of the card in Device Manager?

Even with no Desktop Video installed at all, you should see the card in the "Other devices" area in Device Manager.

With Desktop Video installed and working, the card should show up in the "Sound, video and game controllers" area.

If you are not seeing the card in either of those areas, it sounds like a hardware issue. Either with the card or the computer.

Do you have another computer you could test the card in?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

calezc

PostSat Oct 02, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi,

I am having essentially the same issue as the original poster. Details below:

Product: DeckLink 4k Extreme 12G / Desktop Video 12.1

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero LGA1151

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2

RAM: 64GB

Power Supply: 850W

My graphics card is installed in the first 16x PCIe slot, and the DeckLink is installed in the 2nd 16x PCIe slot. It looks like my motherboard can run the first PCIe slot at 16x or the first and second at 8x. Based on review of my BIOS, my graphics card only runs at 8x, so the second PCIe slot should run at 8x as required by the DeckLink. I can confirm that the DeckLink has power (the fan spins), but the device is not recognized in BIOS/Device Manager/Desktop Video/Premiere Pro. I swapped my graphics card and DeckLink between the PCIe slots to confirm it wasn't an issue with the 2nd PCIe slot on the motherboard and can confirm the graphics card was recognized and worked fine in the 2nd PCIe slot. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this issue? I've also tried installing a couple different versions of Desktop Video, but none recognize the device.

Thanks,
Cale

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 07, 2021 4:42 pm

If possible, try in a different computer. If behavior is the same, it would seem to be a defective card.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

calezc

PostFri Oct 08, 2021 3:45 am

I unfortunately don't have another system to test it in. One thing I found after some additional research is that my CPU only has 16 PCIe lanes. In addition to my GPU which uses 8 lanes, I have 2 M.2 NVMe SSDs that each use 4, so I'm fresh out of PCIe lanes. I did try removing my GPU to free up enough for the DeckLink, but my computer still wouldn't recognize it.

Return to Getting Started