BM UltraStudio 4K Mini - No Audio Input

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

techaesthetics

BM UltraStudio 4K Mini - No Audio Input

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm having an issue getting analog audio input working with our new UltraStudio breakout box and was wondering if anyone had any ideas..

We are running the latest version of Windows 10 and have the BoB connected over Thunderbolt 3. It shows up just fine in Desktop Video (also running the latest version 12.1) and the connection persists on reboots. Inside our editing software, Avid MediaComposer the breakout box also shows up just fine.

Analog audio output is working when doing normal playback through the editing software -> breakoutbox -> speakers. However analog audio input is not picking up anything in Windows. I know the mic is working as I'm seeing levels on our mixer that it passes through before being connected to the breakout box.

In Windows I have checked the Recording tab in mmsys.cpl and I see an issue where the BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini 4K Audio device is set as the default but it's listed as "currently unavailable". The drivers seemed to be installed correctly so I'm not sure why it's saying unavailable.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Steve Fishwick

Re: BM UltraStudio 4K Mini - No Audio Input

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 7:30 am

There is currently no audio input without video on any BMD video i/o device and this has been the case forever. Audio requires being clocked to a video input. The Windows settings only allow for playback and that includes a 16bit Asio driver too. You can get the XLR mic (but not the 1/4" analogue inputs), for audio capture only, to work in Avid by looping an SDI cable in to out. BMD say this is coming to DVR too, there is a new setting in 17.3.1 that allows you to use Desktop Video as your audio device but I haven't used it.

techaesthetics

Re: BM UltraStudio 4K Mini - No Audio Input

PostThu Sep 30, 2021 4:53 pm

Thank you for clarifying that I was unaware of that with BM devices. It may be easier for us to simplify the setup with USB to XLR to record VO / audio only as our only input at the moment is the playback window from Avid over Thunderbolt 3.

I'll try the SDI loop if we really need to use the mic through our existing mixer, but it we are already using both SDI outputs so it would be a bit of a hassle to have to change connections every time. I'll also try Desktop Video as the audio device in the newer Resolve release.

Return to Getting Started