MediaExpress Software

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

sysbox

MediaExpress Software

PostTue Nov 02, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi. I have an Intensity Pro Capture Card that is about 8 years old. It stopped working sometime in the past two years. The problem might be with the OS (I'm having other issues as well). I would like to install a new OS and the latest version of Media Express that works for that card. I have some questions
Do I need to know what version of the Intensity Pro capture card that I have? How can I find that out?
Where can I download the latest version of MediaExpress for that card?
What versions and releases of Linux will work with this card? Will Ubuntu 18 work with this card?

Thanks

roger.magnusson

Re: MediaExpress Software

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 pm

You can download the latest version of Desktop Video which includes MediaExpress here: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/capture-and-playback

Hopefully the documentation in the download will have the rest of the answers. Linux kernel 2.6.18 or later is required, or 3.12 for full support for hot plugging Thunderbolt devices, so Ubuntu 18 should be fine in that regard. However, the latest version of Desktop Video (v12.2) is only tested by Blackmagic Design on Ubuntu 20.04 and 21.04.

The last version of Desktop Video where the requirements state that BMD have tested on Ubuntu 18.04 is Desktop Video v11.5.1.

sysbox

Re: MediaExpress Software

PostSun Nov 07, 2021 7:38 pm

I tried to install desktopvideo_11.0a18_amd64.deb on a PC with a fresh install of Ubuntu 18 and failed. The error message was:

Code: Select all
 dpkg -i desktopvideo_11.0a18_amd64.deb
Failed to build driver(s)
Possible causes:
 1. Driver is incompatible with your kernel version
 2. Kernel headers/gcc/make/etc. is not installed
 3. Kernel header version does not match the running kernel (5.4.0-89-generic)

The first few lines of the make.log file contains this

Code: Select all
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.4.0-89-generic'
  AR      /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/built-in.a
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_serial.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_core.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_lib.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_dma.o
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_gate.o
/var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_lib.c:77:29: error: ‘VERIFY_READ’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘VM_READ’?
 const int bmd_verify_read = VERIFY_READ;
                             ^~~~~~~~~~~
                             VM_READ
/var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_lib.c:78:30: error: ‘VERIFY_WRITE’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘VERIFY_READ’?
 const int bmd_verify_write = VERIFY_WRITE;
                              ^~~~~~~~~~~~
                              VERIFY_READ
/var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_lib.c: In function ‘dl_get_time_us’:
/var/lib/dkms/blackmagic/11.0a18/build/blackmagic_lib.c:356:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘do_gettimeofday’; did you mean ‘do_settimeofday64’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaratio
n]

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know how I can resolve this?

Return to Getting Started