Video Assist help

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

SpooyMulder

Video Assist help

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Hello, I recently bought a Video Assist 5 inch. I'm told I need NPF550 batteries to run it? I bought a Neewer pack of NPF550 batteries and a charger and they DON'T fit the Video Assist. Does anyone have good recommendations for a great lasting pair of batteries that WILL fit the Video Assist OR is there an adapter I can buy so I can use the Neewer set. This is urgent as I'm filming my sister's wedding this Saturday and I'll need to use the monitor for handheld shots! Thank you!

Brad Hurley

Re: Video Assist help

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 8:02 pm

SpooyMulder wrote:Hello, I recently bought a Video Assist 5 inch. I'm told I need NPF550 batteries to run it?

Did you by chance buy the original 5" Video Assist? That one uses Canon LP-E6 batteries. Note that the original 5" Video Assist won't run very long on a set of two Canon batteries, maybe 30 minutes if you're lucky, so buy a lot of batteries. The newer 5" Video Assist uses Sony-L batteries including the NPF 550 and other sizes. There used to be an adapter called the NPF Bridge that would adapt your NPF batteries to Canon battery mounts but it's no longer available (the website may still be up and will take your money but you will never receive your order).

Sorry for all the bad news. If in fact you have the original Video Assist and need to power it for longer than 20-30 minutes at a time, I'd recommend buying a V-mount battery and running it off that; you can attach the battery to your camera or to rails if you have the camera rigged up.

You could also try the NPF battery plates sold by Tilta or SmallRig and mount it directly to the Video Assist, but since the Video Assist only has one external power input you'll only be able to run one battery. I suppose the bigger NPF 750 could run the Video Assist by itself for a while, but not sure how long, I haven't tried it.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

mcizauskas

Re: Video Assist help

PostSat Dec 31, 2022 6:13 am

Yea, I have a bunch of the same battery np-f550 I bought for the video assist because thats all I was told to get, seems like alot of people getting mis-information on this.

Return to Getting Started