MediaExpress Dropping Frames Intermittently

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

sysbox

MediaExpress Dropping Frames Intermittently

PostMon Nov 22, 2021 11:11 pm

I have an Intensity Pro card on a Linux box and I'm trying to capture HDMI video to an internal SSD. In general, the capture rate is about 125 megabytes per second and the SSD can easily handle this. However, every 5 minutes or so, it drops frames heavily and that lasts for a minute or two.

In another command-line window, I ran the Unix program 'top' to see what's going on. Normally, MediaExpress takes about 70 percent of the CPU when things are going well (no frames are dropped). When it starts dropping frames, the CPU utilization for MediaExpress drops to about 40 percent and stays at that lower level while frames are being dropped. Then, utilization jumps back up to 70 percent or so and it stops dropping frames.

The program 'top' also reports CPU usage by other processes. I expected something else to be consuming CPU utilization during the frame drops, but nothing else is happening. MediaExpress simply drops to about 40 percent CPU and nothing else fills in the gap.

Does anyone have an idea what might be happening?

Return to Getting Started