Missing feature on Blackmagic Video Assist 7”12G HDR Monitor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

accucomm

Missing feature on Blackmagic Video Assist 7”12G HDR Monitor

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 1:25 pm

Gentlemen:

Yesterday I received my new Blackmagic Video Assist 7”12G HDR Monitor/Recorder. I immediately proceeded to test it and explore its many features.

I have to say that so far it has delivered on everything I saw on YouTube during my presale evaluation period. However, there is one feature that I missed altogether and that doesn’t seem to be there.

Does this unit produce a ‘clip list”? I do know that it produces individual clips on the cards, one for every time that I press the red virtual record button on screen. But is there an actual screen where I can select between my individual clips and even trim them or delete them individually? If there is, I can’t find it.

I can’t believe that a $1,000 unit would act like a 1990’s linear tape recorder when reviewing my footage!

Please let me know if I’m simply lost among so many menus or if I’ve actually discovered a flaw in this product. If so, is this something that can be improved in firmware?

Thank you,

Denny Smith

Re: Missing feature on Blackmagic Video Assist 7”12G HDR Mon

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 5:40 am

No, the Video Assist is basically a recording device, no clips menu or list are available. It is expected that you will transfer the recording media to a computer and use an editing program, like Resolve, to review and trim your recordings. This equipment was designed for commercial applications where a camera operator monitor and recorder are needed, and Cinema or Boradcast camera operators do not edit their clips in cameras. They record the scenes to the disk, and hand it over to an editor to review, etc. You can quickly play the last clip recorded by pressing the play button and use the back key to review other previously recorded clips.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started