Record raw HDMI stream with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

daygecko

Record raw HDMI stream with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 7:18 pm

I have an Intensity Pro 4K and I'm recording from a device that doesn't let me choose HDMI output settings. It only does 1080i59.94 but doesn't tell you whether it's 420, 422, or 444.

My goal is to capture the output with as much fidelity as possible. The best I can come up with so far is to use Blackmagic Media Express to record Quicktime 10 bit RGB. All the other options are 422 and I don't know if that's what the original data stream is. The 2Gbps bitrate of RGB 10 bit is also so high that my SSD can't handle it. Next I'm going to try a NVME SSD in a PCIE slot which I'm sure will be fast enough.

But is there another way? Is it possible to capture the raw HDMI data going into the capture card? Even if it's not immediately viewable, it could be processed later presumably. I can't find any software that does this, or any discussion on the internet!

The closest thing I can find is this thread discussing using FFMPEG to capture from a Decklink. But I think if you're setting a pixel format and things like that, you aren't capturing the raw data viewtopic.php?f=12&t=76708

Return to Getting Started