Older Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt, getting hdmi into Win11

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

HeneryH

Older Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt, getting hdmi into Win11

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi crew. It has been a long while for me. I had a need recently to get an HDMI feed into Win-11 so I pulled out my old Shuttle. Bought an Amazon Thunderbolt USB-C//MDP cable and gave it a go.

Not seeing anything yet.

Anyone know if it is possible to use the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt to capture HDMI feeds into a Win11 machine?

I'm not sure if plugging it in should automatically add a video source (like a camera feed) or not.

HeneryH

Re: Older Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt, getting hdmi into W

PostTue Feb 01, 2022 5:08 pm

I think the cable may not be bi-directional. From the website...

NOTE: Mini displayport to displayport cable is not bidirectional, and it cannot work as a monitor from Mac (Mini DP) to MacBook (USB-C). Important notes: This USBC to Mini DisplayPort cable is Not compatible with Thunderbolt /Thunderbolt 2 port devices, such as old MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, audio interface or hard drives with Thunderbolt/Thunderbolt 2 Port.

I can't tell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091SQJ57Q

GamesOver

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 3:25 am

I own an Intensity Shuttle USB and haven't ever used it, but thought I try using Windows 11 (new PC, fully updated). Each time it detected the shuttle, using the "Desktop Video Setup" program, it would freeze Windows... no mouse, keyboard and can't access the PC via ethernet either. The screen froze and I manually powered off and back on. I restarted and plugged in the Shuttle and it immediately froze again. I'm not sure if this is a Windows 11-specific issue or if it's just not compatible with my very new Dell PC.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:39 pm

You should use the latest BMD Desktop Video Setup software, which comes with Media Express.
You mention Thunderbolt3, while you're using the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt2 version,
Thunderbolt2 is not Mini Display port, it's only the same connector, you shoulld have bought the USB3 version of the Intensity Shuttle.

(also…. USB3 is not Thunderbolt)
Also depending on the HDMi device … if it's a multimedia device … HDCP will prevent handshaking, a video camera with HDMI does work, because there are no copyright holders involved.
BMD has also the UltraStudio Recorder 3G
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

CShifflett

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 1:50 am

That cable is designed for switching a Type C port into DP Alt Mode and driving a DP monitor, and probably isn't wired for full-fat Thunderbolt connections. Even if it were, an active adapter would probably be needed, I don't know that TB3 host ports can run at TB2 speeds without retiming.

So, *if* your PC has Thunderbolt 3 (not just USB Type-C), and *if* you buy an expensive adapter like the Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter (Startech also has the even pricier TBT3TBTADAP), and *if* you use a full Thunderbolt 2 cable, it *might* work. The Thunderbolt Shuttle requires PCIe via real Thunderbolt, a regular USB connection won't cut it.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 10:11 am

Correct, CShifflett ! that's about the whole truth about it, Thunderbolt2 isn't supported anymore on any recent MAC or PC, Thunderbolt2 version was produced with the MAC user in mind of that time, so it will perfectly work with a secondhand MacBookPro with that TB2 port and the correct compatible MAC OS,

A solution would be the UltraStudio Mini Recorder 3G which connects through Thunderbolt3 to a computer, inputs are HDMI and SDI. or have a recorder for HDMI,
BMD makes those too, or Atomos, there are also cheaper (and less quality) DVR's (recorders) that are designed for the "gamers" to record their game-play.

BMD has lists of compatebility of their hardware, the M1 chip in a MAC is most of the time a no-go for not all to recent hardware used with a MAC.
Also, the Intensity Shuttle is more a Analog capture device, to find something good to bring HDMI into a pc isn't that hard.
If you have a windows desktop pc, there are also PCI cards for this purpouse.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started