Low BMD's Disk Speed results on Mac Studio and Lacie 5Big

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Sami Sanpakkila

Low BMD's Disk Speed results on Mac Studio and Lacie 5Big

PostFri May 06, 2022 1:01 am

Hi,

I Have a Mac Studio and I use an external Lacie 5Big 20TB thunderbolt 2 drive as my storage for editing. I have a weird issue with the BMD Disk Speed Test as it gives around 50MB/s as read and write speeds for the drive.

On my 2012 iMac the BMD Disk Speed Test gives the Lacie read and write speeds of around 700MB/s and that computer has a Thunderbolt 1 connection.

It's a minor issue since it actually doesn't affect the performance. I can play back ten 4K BRAW files in a multicam timeline in Resolve 18 at full frame rate. So there's nothin throttling the actual performance, it's the Disk Speed Test that doesn't seem to be giving correct results.

Just curious as this seems like there's something wrong with the BMD Disc Speed Test app. Any ideas what it could be?

Ellory Yu

Re: Low BMD's Disk Speed results on Mac Studio and Lacie 5Bi

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:17 am

Can you give more details on how is your Mac Studio configured and how your disc are allocated for DVR?
That will allow the forum to understand your setup and possibly provide suggestions.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Sami Sanpakkila

PostFri May 06, 2022 7:59 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Can you give more details on how is your Mac Studio configured and how your disc are allocated for DVR?
That will allow the forum to understand your setup and possibly provide suggestions.

I don't understand what DVR means but the Lacie is in Raid5. It's a 20TB drive with 16TB usable space. Computer is Mac Studio with M1 Max chip, 10-core CPU and 32GB of GPU. MacOS Monterey 12.3.1. All drivers etc. are up to date.

Lacie 5big is connected via the Apple Thunderbolt 2 - Thunderbolt 3 adapter on the Mac Studio's Thunderbolt 4 connection.

At first I thought maybe it's the adapter but I've tried connecting other Thunderbolt hard drives through it and Disk Speed Test gives about the same results on both the iMac and Mac Studio. For example a Lacie Rugged 512GB SSD gives around 230MB/s write and 380MB/s read on both machines.

Ellory Yu

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:42 pm

DVR = Da Vinci Resolve
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Getting Started