Trying to set up Ultrastudio Recorder 3G on M1 Macbook Pro

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

JaniceMorrison

Trying to set up Ultrastudio Recorder 3G on M1 Macbook Pro

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 9:22 pm

...and failing miserably. Monterey 12.4. I've tried everything I can think of - it works on my older Intel chipped MacBook. I tried Desktop Video 12.4, 12.3, even 12.1 with the security setting lowered. That seemed to almost work, the restart button came up, but somehow I think the kernel extension was never applied. I even took it to Apple to check the ports - all good. Got them to wipe everything and re-install - only this time they installed Monterey 12.5... and no difference. Help!

JaniceMorrison

Re: Trying to set up Ultrastudio Recorder 3G on M1 Macbook P

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 2:26 am

figured it out myself -- Thunderbolt 4 cable will not work with M1 Pro MacBook (14"). the T3 does.

ibidiem

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 9:22 pm

I'm in the same boat. brand new Recorder 3g won't connect to 14" MacBook Pro. The light on the recorder does not come on, but the box gets warm, so I know it's getting power.

All software is up to day.

JaniceMorrison

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 am

ibidiem wrote:I'm in the same boat. brand new Recorder 3g won't connect to 14" MacBook Pro. The light on the recorder does not come on, but the box gets warm, so I know it's getting power.

All software is up to day.

Exactly what I had, getting warm, but no light and no recognition on the Desktop Video. What type is your cable? And all this was *after* I was reassured that the 4T would work. It doesn't. The 3T does.

Tell BlackMagic support about your problem too - if you would. They also told me no one else had a problem.

jabadger

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 2:52 am

I'm having an issue too. I tried a couple 5 foot cables but I don't think they like that. Trying to find a shorter one. I have no idea if it's Thunderbolt 3 or 4.

jabadger

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 2:05 pm

I got it to work with this specific cable

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MQ4H2AM/A

Mark new to Mac

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 9:05 am

I'm having a similar problem, although the UltraStudio Recorder 3G is recognised in the Mac Studio USB T3 port. I think my problem may be down to Capture software and can't find anything decent.

Being very new to Mac I'm in extremely in the dark as to which software to use, which is best? My first try is "Elmedia" as I can't see how to capture in Davinci Studio 18.

Grateful for any help.

JaniceMorrison

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 12:07 am

jabadger wrote:I got it to work with this specific cable

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MQ4H2AM/A

Yep, That's the one I have too, but I doubt the length is the problem. Although I admit I haven't tested it.

JaniceMorrison

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 4:10 pm

Mark new to Mac wrote:I'm having a similar problem, although the UltraStudio Recorder 3G is recognised in the Mac Studio USB T3 port. I think my problem may be down to Capture software and can't find anything decent.

Being very new to Mac I'm in extremely in the dark as to which software to use, which is best? My first try is "Elmedia" as I can't see how to capture in Davinci Studio 18.

Grateful for any help.

You have Desktop Video installed? https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/sup ... d-playback

left side, under 'latest downloads'

hit the Mac version to download the installer. make sure you restart after installing.
Other than that, can't help with the other programs.

JimHowell

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 12:21 am

Just took delivery of my Ultrstudio Recorder 3G plugged it into my M1 MBP with a belkin T4 cable (which is supposed to be 100% backwards compatible with T3) and neither Media Express nor Desktop Video (latest versions) can see it - shows up fine in MBP system info though - so looks like it's a software issue and not a hardware one... hmm

ordering the Apple cable tomorrow - I'll update when it arrives!

JimHowell

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 2:46 am

Update from last post - issue resolved - security and privacy permissions needed to be set - Ultrastudio Recorder 3G is now seen as a device in both Desktop Video and Media Express - will test full recording chain (Analog->SDI, UpDownCross and Ultrastudio Recorder 3G) in the morning

Mark new to Mac

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 3:10 pm

Thank you, Janice Morrison, for the tip about the Desktop Video software, did the trick after waiting for the elusive Apple cable. Also found the Blackmagic Media Express capture software and, all is working a treat.
It’s certainly is a steep learning curve changing over to MAC.

Thanks again, Mark.

Oliostro

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 10:55 am

JimHowell wrote:Update from last post - issue resolved - security and privacy permissions needed to be set - Ultrastudio Recorder 3G is now seen as a device in both Desktop Video and Media Express - will test full recording chain (Analog->SDI, UpDownCross and Ultrastudio Recorder 3G) in the morning

Hi! What and where security and privacy permissions needed to be set? Trying to figuring out the same issue - no recorder 3G in desktop video, but there is light and in system devices it exist.

Return to Getting Started