Using an Ultra Studio HD Mini as a separate output device

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chris Hoyle

Using an Ultra Studio HD Mini as a separate output device

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 2:28 pm

Afternoon everyone,

I've had a quick look and search through the forums and haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

I've come into a live entertainment venue that is using a BMD UltraStudio HD mini as it's video output device.

At the moment I can only see this as an input/output device within certain programs (eg Qlab).

However I'm intending on also using this machine for powerpoint, VLC and Qlab playback. I cannot see the BMD as an output device from the mac display options.

Am I missing something or is the ultrastudio HD mini only able to be used with specific applications?

Thanks for you help

Chris

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Using an Ultra Studio HD Mini as a separate output devic

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 4:23 am

Video output to the Blackmagic capture/playout devices like the UltraStudio and DeckLink devices is generally done using the DeckLink SDK (also referred to as the Desktop Video SDK):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/develo ... d-playback

Since these devices use Blackmagic-specific DeckLink APIs, support for this must be explicitly added to any software that wants to output through those interfaces. QLab does include support for the DeckLink APIs, which is why the UltraStudio works there.

In terms of VLC there have been occasional efforts to add DeckLink output support, but my current understanding is that it only exists on some Linux builds of VLC and on Windows via a plugin:
https://sites.google.com/site/videofan3 ... n-decklink

My suggestion as an alternative to VLC would probably be to use something like OBS Studio which is free, includes DeckLink output support, and has the ability to play various types of video files. And in terms of PowerPoint output, you might be able to use the Desktop Capture feature of OBS to grab the on-screen display of PowerPoint and output it through the OBS DeckLink output interface.

Return to Getting Started