Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini & Teranex Mini Smart Panel

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Eric-Jan

Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini & Teranex Mini Smart Panel

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 12:52 am

Will the Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini & Teranex Mini Smart Panel combination work as a standalone ? or do i still need the BMD software to startup ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini & Teranex Mini Smart Pane

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 7:29 am

The UltraStudio HD Mini is powered over the Thunderbolt bus, so it needs to be connected to a computer just to turn on. If the Teranex Mini Smart Panel is installed, it will only display a video signal on its LCD screen if the UltraStudio HD is actively capturing video to the computer (or playing out video from the computer if in playback mode).

The UltraStudio HD Mini is a computer video capture/playout device, so its purpose is to get video into or out of a computer. So I'm not even sure what it would mean for it to operate in standalone mode, or what features it might provide in such a configuration (even if it were supported).

Eric-Jan

Re: Blackmagic UltraStudio HD Mini & Teranex Mini Smart Pane

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 6:59 pm

Okay, from that, i now understand that the functions are done by the pc via thunderbolt or by the serial interface, for control panels with the sony protocol.
And the files are stored by the PC, so it's more of a GUI part in a bigger setup,
it's because i'm looking for to make capturing analog video to ProRes or h.264, i have already some devices from BMD to do that, i try to avoid using a computer, have an Analog to SDI converter, Video Assist recorder, and also a Hyperdeck Shuttle HD, and trying to have an easy workflow, i will stick to the Hyperdeck Shuttle HD i guess,
but have some bad luck with a SDI to HDMI 3G converter (a dud) from BMD my VCR can output 625i50 or 625p50,
Progressive is only supported by the Intensity Shuttle, so is a no go.
I would liked to have a realtime interlace to progressive conversion, so i could use Davinci Resolve to further work in post on the footage, only the Studio version does de-interlacing, and i don't know if i have enough options for a good de-interlacing, if i buy the Studio version…. rendering will also take longer i guess
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started