Ultra Studio 4k Mini SDI Loop

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Shoop89

Ultra Studio 4k Mini SDI Loop

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 10:00 pm

Hello,

I have the following devices in my production setup:
1x ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4k
2x Ultra Studio 4k Minis

We use this setup to go to live events for work and live stream to our members who are unable to attend. We use the ATEM to handle all the video feeds the camera crew sends to us (sometimes 3, sometimes 5+ depending on event and content. The ATEM is used to switch.

From the ATEM, we send an SDI cable to one of the Ultra Studio 4k minis. We then want to setup the second mini using the Loop feature so it can record, while the first in the chain is used to stream.

However, the ONLY way I can get BOTH mini's to display the same feed is if I setup the sdi cable to go from Output on mini 1 to Input on mini 2. No combinition involving the loop port seems to work.

Am I just not understanding the functionality of the Loop input?

Additionally, when configured as outlined above, mini B has a much weaker signal, sometimes green, and flashes/pulses constantly, which to me seems like the signal is too weak coming out of the first mini.

I am still very new to this and only get to use the equipment 2 or 3x a year for our events. So I do apologize in advanced if this sounds like a dumb question and such.

Thanks in advance!

Return to Getting Started