Blackmagic capture card and new Raptor Lake CPU Motherboard

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Lionel Orrit

Blackmagic capture card and new Raptor Lake CPU Motherboard

PostMon Oct 24, 2022 10:09 am

Hello,

Recently, I read the characteristic of the new motherboards with Z790 chipset for the Raptor Lake CPUs.

Most of the motherboards has removed the PCI-e 3.0 x4 in order to add a PCI-e 4.0 slot.
If there is a PCI-e 3.0 slot in the motherboard, it will be only x1 and no more x4.

That will cause a real problem for all user wanting to upgrade Motherboard+CPU+Memory.

In that case, I would like to know if it's possible to :
- Insert a PCI-e 4.0 x16 graphics card into the PCI-e 5.0 x16 slot of the mobo.
- Insert the PCI-e 3.0 x4 BlackMagic capture card (for exemple Decklink Studio 4k) into a PCI-e 4.0 x16/x4 slot of the mobo

I would like also to know if BlackMagic design plans to propose the capture card models in a PCI-e 4.0 x4 configuration instead of the actual PCI-e 3.0 x4.

Awaiting your reply,
Thanks
Lionel ORRIT
Timecode Productions

CShifflett

Re: Blackmagic capture card and new Raptor Lake CPU Motherbo

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 pm

According to the PCIe standards, any 4.0 or 5.0 slot *should* be backwards compatible with older generation cards. Unfortunately, I don't have a PCIe 4.0 motherboard to specifically test this.

The only exceptions to this rule that I'm aware of are some very old PCIe 1.0 cards which initialize too slowly, and the CPU assumes there's no card present because it doesn't respond quickly enough (or so I'm told.)

Crispy

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 8:45 am

Hi, did you or anyone else come to a conclusion if a pci3 capture card works on a modern architecture motherboard ok with negative effects?
I have a avecmedia? HDMI capture and looking also for a z790 upgrade as Resolve is struggling on my dated system

Andre Augustin

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 am

Works NORMALLY. All PCI-E slots are backwards compatiable.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Return to Getting Started