Video Assist 5" purchased 2018 still running 2.5.1

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Paul Lunnon

Video Assist 5" purchased 2018 still running 2.5.1

PostSat Dec 31, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi
I have had my Blackmagic video assist 5" since 2018 and had not realised that software had been up dated and was available as have not used my Video Assist on many occasions.
My software is 2.5.1 and I see we are up to 3.9
Is 3.9 compatible with my unit?
Can I install 3.9 or do I have to install previous versions in sequence?
Does the install only install items that are compatible with my unit?
These questions may seem naïve but as the unit is working (and expensive) I am worried I could damage it.
Many thanks for any assistants you can offer.
Paul Lunnon

Harry Parker

Re: Video Assist 5" purchased 2018 still running 2.5.1

PostThu Jan 05, 2023 11:05 pm

Hi Paul. I tend to work on the principle of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but if you want to check, I'd look back through the patch notes for the Video Assist until you find one that specifically references your device and update to that one. There is no benefit to upgrading to the latest firmware if it offers no improvement at the risk of losing functionality or bricking your device.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jan 05, 2023 11:22 pm

There are three different versions of the Video Assist 5"
  • Video Assist 5"
  • Video Assist 5" 12G HDR
  • Video Assist 5" 3G

Judging by the descriptions for the downloads in https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/se/support/family/video-and-audio-monitoring, version 2.5.1 is the latest update for the original Video Assist 5".

To verify you can just install the 3.9 update on your computer and connect your Video Assist. If it says you already have the latest version there are no updates that apply to your Video Assist.

Updates do not have to be installed in sequence.

Paul Lunnon

PostThu Jan 05, 2023 11:48 pm

Thank you both for your replies

I have in fact had a reply from Blackmagic support informing me that I posses a legacy item and mine is completely up to date.

A bit disappointed that an expensive item shod be out of date within 4 years of purchase.

Best wishes

Paul

Eric-Jan

PostSun Jan 08, 2023 2:55 pm

Yes, like said, if it ain't….
because of the the different OS versions and driver software, i've bricked a SDI to HDMI 3G (ultra)converter that way, on one old (Mac) OS it's not visible at all on a newer version it's seen by the driver software, but just doesn't work at all.
The only thing maybe is, that you can't upload LUT's to the Video Assist if you can't connect with a pc/Mac…

Only start an update if you know for shure (start a ticket @BMD?)

My VA 5" is also still on 2.5.1 and works perfect, did'nt try to upload any LUT though...
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Eric-Jan

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 5:27 pm

Paul Lunnon wrote:Thank you both for your replies

I have in fact had a reply from Blackmagic support informing me that I posses a legacy item and mine is completely up to date.

A bit disappointed that an expensive item shod be out of date within 4 years of purchase.

Best wishes

Paul

You don't mention what's wrong with your Video Assist 5" I have the same (old) one, and works perfect, only difference i see is, the power/USB connection….
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Paul Lunnon

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 8:19 pm

Hi
There isn't anything wrong with my Video Assist. I had not used it for sometime and I was interested as to whether there had been any updates I may have missed. It works well. But thanks for your interest. Paul Lunnon.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 6:54 pm

Paul Lunnon wrote:Hi
There isn't anything wrong with my Video Assist. I had not used it for sometime and I was interested as to whether there had been any updates I may have missed. It works well. But thanks for your interest. Paul Lunnon.

My guess the oldest Video Assist is the best, it can be used on all versions operating systems, the newer Video Assist versions might very depending on a new Operating System, because new drivers only work on the newest operating systems, and then you're not compatible with the older versions OS's

Return to Getting Started