Blackmagic Video Assist 7in 12G HDR power connection

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

EinsiedlerX

Blackmagic Video Assist 7in 12G HDR power connection

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 7:34 pm

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum...

I've been looking for a suitable video assist for my BMPCC6K Pro for a while. Now I'm interested in how I can power the video assist instead of the usual Blackmagic / SONY NP-F560 (or even larger).
In any case, my BMPCC6K Pro is powered by one: IDX IMICRO-150 (V-Mount battery, 145 Wh) mounted on the Wooden Camera Micro Battery Slide Pro. A cable starting (from the OUTPUT) from the Wooden Camera V-Mount bracket (the output says "Camera Power") goes to the DC input of my camera.
(Here you can also see the cable:)

Now my question is: Could I also use the Video Assist via D-Tab at the same time (there are 2 of these outputs). The technical data for the Wooden Camera V-Mount bracket is: 1x DC Out 14 V 2-pin plug-compatible with LEMO unregulated (f) and 1x DC OUT 5.8 A Anton Bauer (D-Tap)
The technical data for the V-Mount (if you connect the monitor directly to the V-Mount): Nominal output voltage: 14.5 V DC Maximum output voltage: 16.8V DC.

In any case, I hope that both types of data (I mean both types of output voltage) are suitable for my camera or is the voltage too high? In any case, my camera shows that it is supplied with 15.4 V, whether that is good?

Wherever you use which D-Tap, is it now possible to use Video Assist at the same time?
And if so, what should I pay special attention to?

I think, or rather I am becoming more and more friends with the "BLACKMAGIC DESIGN VIDEO ASSIST 7" 12G HDR". At some point I will also have projects in HDR and hopefully this monitor will also be HDR-capable!
Hopefully I'll make the right decision, I've looked at several other video assists and I keep coming back to BM's because e.g. the smallHD monitor has a low NIT number.
I'll start another thread for this specific question, here I'm more concerned with the possible power supply.

Thank you for your posts.

Regards T

Steve Fishwick

Re: Blackmagic Video Assist 7in 12G HDR power connection

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 9:03 pm

D-tap should be fine for the BMPCC6K Pro, since you will be using HDMI, but I wouldn't use D-tap power if you intend to connect SDI, such as with the Ursas, as there is a potential to fry the port, since D-tap is not grounded. I have this unit and it is a very good product, very versatile in both post and production. On the whole I feel it is better to use the NP batteries since it also leaves the IDX for the camera alone but I'm using mine with a Ursa Broadcast G2. Bear in mind it is not really 'HDR' - it's just a very bright 8bit screen, but then so are the smaller SmallHDs too. Unlike the SmallHDs, there is no facility for a downstream lut on the VAs, if you need that.

EinsiedlerX

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 11:03 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:D-tap should be fine for the BMPCC6K Pro, ...

Hello, if I understand you correctly it is o.k. generally use a V-Mount for my BMPCC6K Pro. I'm often on the road (also GB and Scotland) and need power over a longer period of time.

However, you would use the standard Blackmagic / SONY NP-F560 or SONY NP-F970 batteries for a VIDEO ASSIST. Is that correct?

As I said, my BMPCC6K shows in the energy display (top right of the display) that it is currently processing 15.4 V, anyway, whether it's good!

Ok, the BM VIDEO ASSIST 7" 12G HDR is only a 2500 NIT 8bit screen, but isn't that generally sufficient as a preview? For me, the "image" only needs to be similar when I process it with DaVinci resolve. I also looked at those more expensive smallHD Video ASSISTS, but I wonder if that's really necessary for me, I don't do such extremely professional film productions either, my work has a claim but not that much.

T.

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi Tassilo, yes I'm saying it should be fine but that D-Tap is ungrounded power therefore there is a potential to create an electrical short when inter-connecting camera and monitor signals. This should only be a concern with SDI, so I think (but not 100% sure) that HDMI should be OK. Don't take my word for that though!

The concept of true HDR monitoring on set is a little dubious to me, since it really requires a darkened grading environment and is really something best dealt with in post. All cameras these days are capable of sufficient dynamic range to later be graded for HDR. But monitoring on set even, if you have access, to a true HDR reference grade monitor, would be difficult due to ambient light. It is best to think of super bright monitors, as being more useful for outside daylight acceptable image reference, rather than a calibrated true accurate representation.

NussMuss

PostSun Feb 19, 2023 12:34 am

Just a warning: I powered my Video Assist 7" 12G from the same V-mount as my P6k Pro and fried the HDMI ports on both devices. Both devices were just barely out of warranty so out of luck there. Blackmagic support originally gave me repair costs of $645+labor for the Video Assist, and $625+labor for the P6K Pro. When I asked to proceed with the repairs anyway they informed me that they actually do not do repairs on the Video Assist, nor have an idea of where I could get the repair done.

Howard Roll

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 5:26 am

I’m monitoring my camera in PQ and getting a more realistic representation of what the sensor is capturing. I prefer it to pure log or using a 709 LUT. Nobody expects reference conditions on location with HDR or SDR. Not like anyone is monitoring 709 at 100 nits.

Dtaps are unshielded, not ungrounded, there are certain calisthenics required to use them with cinema cameras. The current ;) theory is that the positive connection is made first and the circuit is completed through the coax shield or HDMI-, thus toasting the output driver. Shielded power cables (all SDI is shielded already, which is the problem) are allegedly safer because the shield will ground the connector first. This only works if the shield is actually tied to the ground. For example, both Tilta V-mount boxes for the Komodo fail to tie the Lemo shield to negative, rendering the connector no safer than Dtap.

Good Luck

Return to Getting Started