Bidirectional SDI->HDMI Micro Convertor

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

MattsterT

Bidirectional SDI->HDMI Micro Convertor

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 10:30 pm

Do I understand correctly that the bidirectional convertor can run independent signals in both directions at the same time? For example, convert Output 1's SDI to an HDMI cable connected to a multi-view display, while simultaneously converting HDMI from my BMPCC6K to SDI for an input.
Sunset Mango Productions
Boca Raton, FL, USA

ATEM SDI Extreme ISO, RodeCaster 2 Pro, Mac Airbook M2, (3) BMSC 4K Pro, MBPCC6K Pro, Etc.

Ellory Yu

Re: Bidirectional SDI->HDMI Micro Convertor

PostFri Mar 10, 2023 10:59 pm

No. Bi-directional in this case is you can only send 1 signal from SDI to hdmi and hdmi to SDI from one connected device.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

MattsterT

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 2:16 am

Ellory Yu wrote:No. Bi-directional in this case is you can only send 1 signal from SDI to hdmi and hdmi to SDI from one connected device.

I got this idea from reading page 29 of the "Convertors Manual," where it says, [emphasis added] "Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI converts SD and HD video from HDMI to SDI, and SDI to HDMI with embedded audio simultaneously. For example, you can convert the HDMI output from an HDV camera to SDI for longer cable lengths, while also converting an SDI return feed to HDMI so you can connect to an HDMI TV."

This is from the description of the standard BiDi SGI->HDMI but my device is the 3G version, that's why I ask.
Sunset Mango Productions
Boca Raton, FL, USA

ATEM SDI Extreme ISO, RodeCaster 2 Pro, Mac Airbook M2, (3) BMSC 4K Pro, MBPCC6K Pro, Etc.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 4:51 am

Let us know when you get it to work.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 5:11 am

I would like to offer the BiDirectional Microconverters are two completely independent converters with one exception. As long as the input signals are within specifications you can feed separate signals. The exception is when feeding only one of the inputs, either SDI or HDMI, both outputs will carry the same converted input. It is a very useful device. Keep in mind when one of the inputs looses it’s signal the converted output will carry the remaining input. I hope this helps.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

codedeltajames

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 9:56 am

MattsterT wrote:Do I understand correctly that the bidirectional convertor can run independent signals in both directions at the same time? For example, convert Output 1's SDI to an HDMI cable connected to a multi-view display, while simultaneously converting HDMI from my BMPCC6K to SDI for an input.

I know Gary has already answered, but just want to add that yes, this does work and I've used it this was many times. Not sure why there's any doubt really!

palmer_gobert

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 4:34 am

We have a Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G that we are feeding a HDMI in signal. From there we feed an Overlay module with the SDI output. This works fine and we can see the camera image on the overlay module. We then send the image back from the overlay module via SDI to the SDI input of the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G but we can't see anything on the HDMI output.
Is this configuration even possible?

palmer_gobert

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 4:41 am

I was reading posts on the forum and was still a little confused on the limitations of the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G converter.
Currently we are feeding the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G with an HDMI input signal. From there we have a SDI output that goes to an overlay module. The image shows up fine on the overlay module.
Then from the overlay module we send the image back to the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G on the SDI input hoping to view the updated image via the HDMI output.
Would this configuration be possible? I know the unit is bi-directional but can you convert both ways at the same time?
If you could let me know that would be great.

Return to Getting Started