Extreme ISO vs Hyperdecks - multicam workflow

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

andisailer

Extreme ISO vs Hyperdecks - multicam workflow

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 9:25 pm

Hi there,
I've been considering a SDI Extreme ISO as a multicam recorder connected to a Constellation 8k.
We're mostly working in 1080p25 on internal conferences, video trainings, etc., so nothing cinematic, no broadcast quality (yet ;) ).
But I've been wondering if a rack full of hyperdecks instead would increase production value, or just complicate the workflow. Is there a way to automate the file transfer via ftp, for example?
Does anyone have experience with both methods, and what's your preferred way of working?

andisailer

Re: Extreme ISO vs Hyperdecks - multicam workflow

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 pm

Sorry, I guess my question was too vague or too noob. :?

So, if anyone wants to share their preferred way of working...
If you are using a rack full of hyperdecks for multicam recording, what is your workflow of getting those files to the computer and synced in Resolve?
Have you considered using an ATEM Mini ISO instead, for ease of handling? Or do you use another multicam recorder instead?

jallen0

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 3:46 pm

Interested in any replies as well.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Eric-Jan

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 10:03 pm

I guess you're limited by the number of in and outputs of the ATEM Extreme "line"
Looks to me you have to compare the specs and prices of the different BMD devices, and "lines"
Also the adaptabillity of different frame rates within all devices, the ATEM mini line was the 1st "one" which adapted that, so features and compatabillities are important for your type of workflow i guess, and that is important for you to make known, for good answers, is my guess.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

andisailer

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 8:00 am

Here is where I'm at myself:
1x Atem Constellation 8K, 1x Extreme (HDMI) ISO, 1x Hyperdeck Mini (older version), 1x Hyperdeck Plus
Our main room is based on SDI completely. Been doing some multicam recording with the Extreme ISO and converters, but it's a bit of a mess.

Thinking about getting SDI-based recorders or an Extreme SDI ISO.
Option to record H.264 would be nice for cheap storage (quality is good enough for now). On the other hand, option to go 6G / 2160p25 would be good as well.

So I'm leaning towards multiple HyperDeck Studio HD Plus, but not sure whether I'll miss the ease of handling a project recorded on a Mini ISO.

Other options:
AJA Ki Pro Go seems more reliable than Atem Mini & easier to handle than multiple recorders, but also a lot more expensive at 8 cams
Atomos Shogun Studio II looks like a great all in one solution, but no H.264, so not sure about cost of storage adding up

Robert de Wit

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 7:14 pm

Put the hyperdecks in line with each camera input via the 24 aux outputs and use when extra to record program. Chain all timecodes and refs together.

You can FTP all files from hyperdeck storage back to your editing station and sync everything as a multicam clip by using the synced recordings.
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6
HP Z840 dual Xeon 28 core, 96GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, RAID set, GTX3060/12GB (Studio Driver), Win10 Pro (22H2), Speed Editor, Alphatrack, RME Digiface USB, Surround Controller, 5.1 Monitoring.

Return to Getting Started