which SSDs to buy for Hyperdeck (and Atomos)?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Klaus Kranz

which SSDs to buy for Hyperdeck (and Atomos)?

PostFri May 05, 2023 11:08 am

Hi there,
we have several Hyperdecks and one Atomos Sumo and we recently had issues with recording to Crucial MX500 SSDs which turned out not to be the wisest choice. Also Samsung Evos have been disapproved of by Atomos Support and you won't get any Pros in high capacities!

We record up to 4x 1080p50 in the Sumo and also UHD 50p in high bitrate codecs..

Now I try to find stuff that is fast, available in Germany, reasonably priced and on both them compatibility lists which you find here:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/23730
and here:
https://www.atomos.com/compatible-drives?product=sumo19

Currently my choice would be:
1. OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G
- ca. 100€/TB
- fast (but not ultimate)
- good in Atomos list, in Blackmagic list approved up to 480 GB

2. Sandisk Ultra 3D (no extremes available it seems)
- almost too cheap to be good, 2TB > 100€
- very fast acc. to Atomos list.
- Ultra up to 500GB on Atomos list, several Sandisk Extremes on Blackmagic list

3. Kingston DC500M
- ca. 100€/TB
- very fast acc. to Atomos list
- many other Kingstons on Blackmagic list

Any opinions on this? What stuff did you buy? Would be interesting to hear what did NOT work :)
Thanks and cheers
K

Xtreemtec

Re: which SSDs to buy for Hyperdeck (and Atomos)?

PostFri May 05, 2023 12:22 pm

We use all Samsung 870 EVO 1TB. Does perfect job on full 4K 50P even in prores. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Klaus Kranz

PostFri May 05, 2023 1:30 pm

yeah, I see, a lot of people (including us) have those. But I am not really keen getting more of those because Atomos wrote:

"we examined the Samsung EVO and QVO series, all SSD drives, and got poor results, which is why we do not recommend these drives to our customers."

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 08, 2023 11:11 am

Never had issues with these in my Atomos.. Often have them as Backup recorders in Full 4K. ;)

But i only use EVO. QVO seems to have more issues when you have constant high bitrate going on.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Klaus Kranz

PostMon May 22, 2023 9:21 am

well .. QVOs no, of course. But EVOs? Did you take note of this thread where explicitly the 870 has been warned of?
viewtopic.php?uid=16&f=4&t=124211&start=0

But as you wrote and from my experience it is weird- did not have any issues so far.

Nevertheless it would be really cool to have an alternative. Nobody tried the other drives I mentioned?

Joris Robijn

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 9:39 am

For HD use I am not so much interested in the speed, but more in the reliability of the SSD drives. I have had 2 SSD's that are now giving trouble accessing (red light when put in, not formattable). I have no idea what has caused it, since they were always eject while not recording. These are old Transcend 1TB drives (370S). I am looking into buying some new ones, only for use up to 1080 50p. Has anyone used many drives of a certain brand without any trouble?

Return to Getting Started