Studio Videohub 16x32 - connection issues

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

SpiderKenny

Studio Videohub 16x32 - connection issues

PostMon May 15, 2023 1:13 pm

Hi

We (a small charity) have recently acquired a BMD Studio Videohub 16x32
It's connected via USB to a PC running Windows 10. It is for routing our various video sources to projectors and monitors throughout our building.

When I boot the PC all my configured input-to-output routes become active, so I assume the USB connection is actually working, as I believe the config it not stored internally on this model, but on the PC.

However when starting Videohub Control or Videohub Setup I just get "No Videohub Found" and along the bottom of the app window "Connecting to Studio Videohub...." which lasts forever.

While it's doing that if I stop/restart the "Blackmagic desgn videohub" service the connection sometimes springs to life and I can adjust the videohub routes. Until the next reboot. Sometimes after a reboot it works properly, sometimes it doesn't and I have to try stopping/restarting the service again. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Any suggestions?

Xtreemtec

Re: Studio Videohub 16x32 - connection issues

PostMon May 15, 2023 3:53 pm

This hardware was designed in the Windows 2000 ERA.. Your Win10 machine is probably to blame as they changed to Network control soon after in the next model..

Might be worth exploring with an old Win2K or XP laptop.. Just to see if it is running stable on that.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

SpiderKenny

Re: Studio Videohub 16x32 - connection issues

PostMon May 15, 2023 4:00 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Might be worth exploring with an old Win2K or XP laptop.. Just to see if it is running stable on that.. ;)

Thank you. Yes it's the not the newest of switchers, but it's a good piece of kit for our use, and there's no way we can afford one of the newer models. :D
If I install the Mac version of the Videohub Control on a new iMac it runs perfectly - so I'll keep trying to track down the issue on the windows machine. Unfortunately I can't just leave it on the iMac.

Return to Getting Started