Intensity Pro - SD PAL 25fps

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

soundandvision

Intensity Pro - SD PAL 25fps

PostWed May 17, 2023 4:13 pm

Hi all,

I have an older Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCI card with a break-out cable.

I am wanting to use it to capture some footage from a SD PAL source which runs at 25fps (like a VCR).

When I open Desktop Video Setup, the only options I can see for PAL video is 625p50 (which i assume is 50fps). Although a picture appears in Media Express and you can capture, the video runs 2x too fast to the audio.

How can I get the capture to run at the lower framerate please?

Eric-Jan

Re: Intensity Pro - SD PAL 25fps

PostSat May 27, 2023 4:01 pm

The support for SD is a bit strange i also noticed.
You should explain what kind of source you have, this is very important, is it a VCR or a console ? first try to down-grade the BMD Media Express/Desktop Video Setup software, hoping for the best, your SD resolution is supported. (consoles can get as low as halve SD resolution)
It could be the older software version(s) doo handle the resolution correctly, it could be the software is not detecting the hardware correctly, also because there's already a 4K version of the Intensity Pro.
I have had no problems capturing with the Intensity Shuttle Thunderbold 2 version.
From what are you capturing PAL ? also with a passthrough device or TBC in between ?
Using the Analog to SDI mini converter from BMD connected to a Video Assist works also fine, the Video Assist can only record in interlaced mode from that (SD) SDI output though.
Do you have more options with other equipment ?

My "findings" are, that once you have a stable analog video output signal, it's better to record/capture/transfer with video hardware, one should not use any pc or laptop for that, maybe only a pc with a good/recent SDI or HDMI card, with an up to date operating system.
Any consumer (China) grade converter or capture device will give you values that are all over the place, color and brightness wise, and will add also extra image noise you don't need.

btw. i googled… and you could try this:

" it is recommended that the "Decklink Video Capture" option is selected from the dropdown box instead of "Blackmagic WDM Capture"
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started