Replacement for Blackmagic UltraStudio 4k ADC

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Emily Vinson

Replacement for Blackmagic UltraStudio 4k ADC

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 4:02 pm

Hi,
I am an archivist working with a diverse collection of analog and digital video, including Umatic, Betacam/SP, VHS, Digital Betacam, and more. Currently, I am seeking an upgrade from my 2013 Mac Pro and Blackmagic UltraStudio 4k ADC. I am looking at a new Mac Pro and would greatly appreciate any insights regarding the ADC solutions that professionals are currently utilizing and finding effective.

Thanks for any feedback!

Eric-Jan

Re: Replacement for Blackmagic UltraStudio 4k ADC

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 9:58 pm

Since you want to upgrade your PC/MAC i would not go for capturing this way.
A good (BMD) converter that converts to HDMI/SDI and then a hardware recorder like a Video Assist (or an Hyperdeck?) that records (to USB-C drive) is a more solid option, if you want to stay with BMD equipment, you need to figure out the pieces you need, the hardware that uses the correct/fast Thunderbold type interface, depending on your budget… (Or a internal HDMI/SDI card)
you need to be careful when your new MAC has M1 or M2 chips, some BMD hardware will not work with that,
also some older BMD hardware could not be supported by 64bit drivers/OS, these are some of the trapdoors of using any computer for capturing, once it is HDMI, it's not capturing anymore ;)

I guess you had/have a working capture setup with your "old" hardware ? better stick to that for capturing analog video, and do post on your new system, that would be a solution ?

Professionals these days are not doing much analog to digital converting, i guess .. this makes it even harder to find a good working solution too, i guess the other/digital formats need Firewire/DV interfacing ?
Don't know if there's an option for Firewire on the MAC platform hardware wise, software wise that's even more of a problem, Window$ has better options in that direction is my guess.

btw.. The Hyperdeck Shuttle HD is also a nice device ;)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Daniel Gordon

PostFri Jul 21, 2023 11:25 pm

I know this post is 7 months old now but there are a plethora of posts about this. If you look up vhs in the forum here, you will find many posts by Colin Barrett who had some amazingly great advice on this subject. I personally use a time base corrector by snell and wilcox like Colin used to recommend. I also use a mini converter to sdi from black magic to a Teranax av standard converter to a black magic intensity shuttle to my macbook using a firewire to usb c adaptor. I use the apple pro res hq codec for my more cherished memories and just standard 422 otherwise. The Apple pro res codec is extremely efficient compared to the codecs you would get on a pc. The results are really amazing but quite costly. I wuold argue it's very worth it though. Does anyone know if Colin is okay? I haven't seen any posts in about 5 years.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jul 22, 2023 8:46 am

Yes, using a MAC is an advantage because of the ProRes422 codecs, depending on the "power" you can choose the compression "grade" of this codec,
But i find most TBC's too expensive, new and old… most of these can't completely manage the quality of VHS, because they were not made for that, old refurbished TBC's are queit expensive because they are also rare.
A lot of people don't have the money for that.
The VHS refresh feature of panasonic is really amazing in my experience, such a combo or recorder is best for VHS passthrough, the other analog or digital formats should not be that difficult with Firewire or conversion.
JVC with build in TBC is mostly overrated compared with the VHS refresh feature.
If possible one should avoid capturing by computer, there are too much "things" where it can go wrong, due to compatibility.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started