HDLinkPro audio and specifications?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

themaiz

HDLinkPro audio and specifications?

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 2:46 am

The HDLinkPro converter still has support, manual and application in the BM Support site... BUT... the manual has a link to specifications and that link goes to the support page where specifications seem not to be. Am I right? :o

The real question: can someone tell me what audio should appear at each of the six RCA outputs? Is it embedded tracks 1-6 on SDI (ie: all of group 1 and half of group 2) or something else?

Thanks, John

Howard Roll

Re: HDLinkPro audio and specifications?

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 7:47 am

Scroll down, the HDLink is 10 years old, older products are at the bottom of the pane. It’s there BTW, I just looked.

Good Luck

themaiz

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 1:40 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Scroll down, the HDLink is 10 years old, older products are at the bottom of the pane. It’s there BTW, I just looked.

Howard thanks for checking. I too had already looked on the support page for downloads, and I did confirm that my boxes are running the last offered firmware.

However that's not the link I meant. In the paragraph prior, the manual says
Please see the following HDLink specifications link on the Blackmagic Design website for a full listing of current formats supported via DVI and HDMI displays. Check [site link info] products/hdlink/techspecs/

The techspecs link folds to the current products page, and detail on the HDLink is definitely not on the products page (or not where I can see it).

Having the specs would have saved me an hour or two... The manual says that the SDI input can be used for "... 3 Gb/s HD-SDI 4:4:4 video...", and one of the diagrams is exactly what I tried, but no 3G (1080p) signal that I tried would display correctly on either an HDMI or DVI monitor input.

Ultimately what I REALLY wanted to confirm was the input to RCA audio mapping, and that's still an unknown quantity.

Jack Fairley

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 12:07 am

Did you try both level A and level B? Older BMD kit would not do both.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

themaiz

PostSun Jun 11, 2023 7:05 am

Jack Fairley wrote:Did you try both level A and level B? Older BMD kit would not do both.

Good thought. I'm not sure that I did. The interface software on the HDLink does not have an A or B option, but I had a Decimator HD-MX front-ending the HDLink. That device does support forcing A/B... a formal trial will have to wait until next week when I'm back at the test-bench.

Unfortunately I have no way of knowing anything about the construction of the source material I've been using to test - especially I don't know if it was A or B-DL, or if it was 4:2:2 or 4:4:4. Again, I'm stymied by not being able to find precise specifications for the device, so no idea what to expect from it.

Return to Getting Started