Blackmagic Cam App direct audio monitoring

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AlNash

Blackmagic Cam App direct audio monitoring

PostSun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 pm

I've been experimenting with the Blackmagic Camera App (v. 1.1.00029).

I'm testing the app on both my iPhone 13 Pro Max and my 6th gen iPad Mini. Both devices are operating the latest versions of iOS/iPadOS.

One issue I've run into is an inability to directly monitor audio while recording from either an internal or connected external mic using the correct Lightning or USB-C 3.5mm adapter and a couple different 3.5mm to mic/headphone splitters.

I can get both devices to record audio from internal or externally connected mics.

When playing back recorded video clips through the Media in-app storage, I'm able to hear the sound just fine.

Now, most of the time this won't be an issue for me as I typically connect external mics to my iRig Pre HD which is connected to my iPhone, and it has a "direct monitor" option.

But when traveling really light, I often opt just to carry a RODE VideoMicro for external audio.

Is there something I'm doing incorrectly, or is this not a currently supported feature?

Grutzipopoputzi

Re: Blackmagic Cam App direct audio monitoring

PostWed Dec 20, 2023 5:24 am

This is still a missing option with version 1.2.10003
How can we listen to the audio signal while recording?

cinemagrip

Re: Blackmagic Cam App direct audio monitoring

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 7:23 am

I think this is still a problem, tried with a bunch of different audio interfaces and the monitoring out via headphones doesn't work. While the recorded file can play the audio.

I've tested other apps like Filmic Pro and the audio monitoring just works as expected.

Can someone from Blackmagic assist on this? It's obviously a bug, it hasn't been fixed since the first version of the app

Return to Cinematography