Display Calibration, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

georget

Display Calibration, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 2:33 pm

Hi guys, so I'm thinking of calibrating a display monitor (BenQ SW272U) sometime soon and trying to work out what is best regarding if to begin with should I even be bothering with a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K in the chain, at all. I can't seem to find yet the specific info anywhere about how to calibrate this particular display whilst if using a DeckLink also.

I get that the point of using a DeckLink is to obtain a clean feed, but if using the dedicated gpu display output (RTX 4080 in my case) with a calibration capable display, such as this BenQ SW272U, and if need be tweaking any relevant system display/nvidia relevant settings, then should I even need to be using a DeckLink if calibration (using a Calibrite Display Plus HL) through and from the gpu could achieve the best possible color accurate performance anyway?

Any thoughts or help on this appreciated, thanks!
13900K cpu, Z790 mainboard, RTX 4080 gpu, DDR5 64GB memory, M.2 and SATA drives, Windows 11 Pro. BenQ SW272U display, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K. BMPCC4K, Micro Studio 4K G2, T7 Shield 1TB drives. Davinci Resolve Studio

Ellory Yu

Re: Display Calibration, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 5:58 am

georget wrote:Hi guys, so I'm thinking of calibrating a display monitor (BenQ SW272U) sometime soon and trying to work out what is best regarding if to begin with should I even be bothering with a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K in the chain, at all. I can't seem to find yet the specific info anywhere about how to calibrate this particular display whilst if using a DeckLink also.

I get that the point of using a DeckLink is to obtain a clean feed, but if using the dedicated gpu display output (RTX 4080 in my case) with a calibration capable display, such as this BenQ SW272U, and if need be tweaking any relevant system display/nvidia relevant settings, then should I even need to be using a DeckLink if calibration (using a Calibrite Display Plus HL) through and from the gpu could achieve the best possible color accurate performance anyway?

Any thoughts or help on this appreciated, thanks!

George, In all, yes you will want to calibrate your monitor or monitors whether they are attached to a DecLink MM 4K or a RTX card. However the process are slightly different. I suggest using DisplayCalc as it will accommodate both. I also recommend you use the X-rite calibrator as the calibration are much more accurate. But if you have the Spyder Pro, that will do too. The Spyder does have an environmental lighting sensor that I usually turn off because that can affect the calibration. Because I do theatrical grading, I usually calibrate with a dark room ambience and set my REC709 gamma to 2.4. If you’re viewing in a lighted room then you probably want the gamma at 2.2.

Back to calibration, with the GPU card, calibration will be done by adjusting the monitor control. With the DeckLink card, you will have to generate a Resolve LUT for the monitor profile after calibration and use that in DVR when displaying on a monitor that is connected to the DeckLink. DisplayCalc will be able to do this for you.

BTW, I have a reference monitor and a dual editing/grading displays. My reference monitor is connected to the DeckLink MM4K and my editing/grading monitors to the AMD GPU. The DeckLink is excellent but really is mostly used with a reference monitor setup. At least that’s how I have it and think of it.

Watch this on how to calibrate a monitor that is your reference monitor connected with DeckLink.

URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

georget

PostTue Jan 16, 2024 5:05 pm

I watched that video there yesterday as it goes, but because I thought it wasn't specific to my display and calibration tool I didn't really take it in. Will check it out again and follow it properly from now thanks.

Is the Calibrite Display Plus HL sufficent or good to use with that displayCal software? I was going to go with using some software recommended by BenQ, but now I know otherwise there might be a different/better option I'll gladly try using that, and so long as it works with the Calibrite (X-Rite?) tool of course.
13900K cpu, Z790 mainboard, RTX 4080 gpu, DDR5 64GB memory, M.2 and SATA drives, Windows 11 Pro. BenQ SW272U display, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K. BMPCC4K, Micro Studio 4K G2, T7 Shield 1TB drives. Davinci Resolve Studio

Ellory Yu

PostWed Jan 17, 2024 6:17 am

I have the older i1 display pro and I think the Calibrite color checker pro or Display Plus HL are about the same but rebranded and newer. They should all work with DisplayCal but I say test it out first.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Getting Started