Replacing BMD Mini Converter Analog to SDI + UltraStudio 3G

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

lcplcaleb

Replacing BMD Mini Converter Analog to SDI + UltraStudio 3G

PostThu Jan 18, 2024 7:36 pm

Hey all. We've got a VHS conversion setup at the library I work for, and BMD Mini Converter Analog to SDI and UltraStudio 3G Recorder are part of the workflow. We've had constant issues out of these components, and are looking to replace it. Currently, our Panasonic AG-1980 S-VHS Deck plugs into a Pixie-FS Time Base Correcter via S-Video to Dual BNC cable, which plugs into the BMD Mini Converter Analog to SDI. Audio from the Panasonic S-VHS Deck goes directly to the Mini Converter via dual RCA to dual 1/4 cable. The Analog to SDI converter then plugs into the UltraStudio 3G Recorder via SDI video cable. The Recorder then goes to the laptop via Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Our hope is to completely replace the Analog to SDI and 3G Recorder. From what I've read, this can be done using the UltraStudio HD Mini. Would this be correct, based off our current setup? We've had to send off both BMD products we currently own to be replaced. Heating doesn't seem to be the issue.

Here is an image https://imgur.com/a/1mwTqYP of our current setup. When everything worked, it worked great.

lcplcaleb

Re: Replacing BMD Mini Converter Analog to SDI + UltraStudio

PostMon Jan 22, 2024 2:21 pm

Giving this a bump before we place an order.

red9417

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 3:05 pm

Hi Caleb,

I myself am working through issues regarding some of BMD's products. My Library was actually going to use the same components as you have. Currently I'm not getting audio while using the Ultrastudio 3g Recorder and the Analog to SDI miniconverter. Was this one of the problems you were referring to for your past experience? If so, were you able to solve it at least temporarily? I went through the trouble of switching the miniconverter under warrant. I'm thinking about trying to do the same with the 3g recorder since I still have the same problem.

Bobby

red9417

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 6:12 pm

Update: If it may help with your original question, I'm considering buying an sdi to hdmi converter.

It's cheaper than the item you've been considering. I found that my 3g recorder still has a good hdmi connection. It's the sdi part that only provides video. If I follow through the purchase I can let you know how it goes. Until then, let me know how your experience with the audio has been if you're able.

Return to Getting Started