expodisc or colour card for speed

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mandreessen

expodisc or colour card for speed

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 pm

I read several threads discussing the pros and cons of colour card vs expodiscs. If I get it right the main difference would be that the colour card is more useful in post proction, expodisc before filming.
My experience so far is that I set the white balance regularly quite wrong. Off by 1000 Kelvin I guess.
My current goal is to get decent results very fast. Delivering should be done within few hours, so getting the shot right would be quite helpful.
Anybody disagreeing that an expodisk should be the first step?

Thanks a lot
Mark

BMPCC4k, Davinci Resolve studio 18

rNeil H

Re: expodisc or colour card for speed

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 8:34 pm

I've used both. And have 40+ years in professional imaging in a small business where time saved by initial accuracy was crucial to feeding my kids.

Expodisc *if used on all cameras of a shoot identically* can work fine. You TEST in several different typical lighting setups, and design your process for both camera settings and post settings on import.

But only for basic white (highlights) balancing.

Grey cards can be used for the similar WB use, after you do the same testing for best camera and post settings. With one advantage, that then shooting the grey card in the place your main subject will be, at the exposure settings, can help check your upper shadows/mid-gray level in scopes.

A chip chart shot, with at least 6 color patches, a couple "skin" patches, and 3-5 greys from black to white can do a ton more. From the "lowly" Xrite video passport to a full chroma dumonde, and I've got both ... allows for vastly more and quicker matching in post.

My typical process is to use an expodisc if I can quickly place it on each cam while pointing at main light sources for WB setups.

Then cameras are mounted pointing at subject, and a couple seconds of a chip chart is recorded on each.

Then I'm ready to start the rolling process.

The cameras have fairly close WB, and the chip chart clips mean I can quickly check and match basic tonal and hue responses.

Cutting a TON of later shotmatching out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

mandreessen

Re: expodisc or colour card for speed

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 9:37 pm

"But only for basic white (highlights) balancing."
Yes, that's what I thought but hoped not to be true.
OK, it's not worth being stingy here. Thank you, case closed, go for both.

Return to Getting Started