UltraStudio Mini Recorder Issue

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Borborygmus

UltraStudio Mini Recorder Issue

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 2:47 am

Hello,
I have an UltraStudio Mini Recorder, trying to connect with my MacBook Pro in order to capture video from a Toshiba VHS VCR (consumer model with HDMI output).

It seems that the device is recognized, though sometimes Desktop Video Setup shows "Video Input HDMI" and occasionally "Video Input HDMI 1080p30"

However, on Media Express all I see is a black screen, never see any video coming in that I can capture. I've tried different project video formats, but any others than 1080p30 show a red warning in lower left corner of the screen.
All I'm trying to do is convert a few old VHS tapes. This really should be simple!

How to configure UltraStudio Mini Recorder?
Thanks

pixout

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder Issue

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 9:28 am

Try to recheck HDMI resolution, Hz one more time. I have a similar issue when Media Express does not display video data due to incorrect resolution. In your case resolution seems to be Ok (due to: 'though sometimes Desktop Video Setup shows') but probably Hz or some other parameter needs to be fixed.

I would like to suggest you few steps:

1. Try with another HDMI source just to check that everything works
2. Connect VHS and play with its video output settings.
3. If nothing helps. Check EDID of the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and compare with VHS

Hope it helps

Return to Getting Started