Panasonic NV-HS1000 shows NTC instead of PAL

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Witzker

Panasonic NV-HS1000 shows NTC instead of PAL

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 7:06 am

Hi, let me first say, I'm totally new with this video stuff.
I'm learning how to capture My old VHS videos to pc and try to get out the best quality possible.
So I think it's better to use a Blackmagic device instead of this cheep video converters.

As mentioned, I have an old Panasonic NV-HS1000, a Hauppauge PVR1212, and now a
Blackmacic Intensity shuttle USB3.

I'm in Austria and I ever thought the recorder outputs a PAL signal.
As I tried to capture with this Haupauge device and OBS I got a 720X576 signal working.

Now I try with Blackmagic (as I think to get better quality) in the Settings I only found possible signal NTSC:

Input:
BM Video Input NTSC.jpg
BM Video Input NTSC.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Output:
BM Video OUTPUT.jpg
BM Video OUTPUT.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Can someone Pls. be so kind and explain the "format magic"

Have a got the wrong Driver?
BM Treiber.jpg
BM Treiber.jpg (22.98 KiB) Viewed 828 times

Eric-Jan

Re: Panasonic NV-HS1000 shows NTC instead of PAL

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 12:32 am

Spoiler: go to the red text, and you're okay :)

PAL has 0.0 IRE ! Japan NTSC also uses 0.0 IRE

My thoughts about the software at this point: stupid ! the BMD software should be foolproof !
PAL & 7.5 IRE is never needed, Only selecting NTSC should give the option to choose between 0.0 = Japan or 7.5 = USA
another value should not be available.

It's great/just luck? you have the Intensity Shuttle USB detected by the software, a lot of people have troubles with that, this said, any upgrade can destroy this !
So.... please note the software versions you are now using, so you can downgrade to that again.

I have good results with an old MacBookPro and Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt version,
I'm using a Panasonic DMR-ES35V (combo) to capture VHS from using the component (YUV) RCA output,
(s-video is RGB?)
(Capturing from component video would be a better option)
with this setup,(red,green,blue RCA) i can also capture 576p < Progressive ! directly ! also no sync problems due to the VHS refresh feature this model has, i don't have any good experiences with JVC's build in TBC's

PAL or NTSC is only selectable in Video Output in de Video Desktop software, the logic of it is also a bit lost there :o
With both DesktopVideo and Media Express you should be able to select the correct PAL version then.
Also: do a "Save" to store this setting, but keep checking the settings, with each startup of the software, to be sure.
I had to find that out again, just now, Because i'm now using BMD's Analog to SDI mini converter, and their Video Asist, so not using any computer for capture, on the passthrough any other HDMI recorder also works > Hyperdeck Shuttle HD, or Ninja V, a cheaper "record" option would be to use a SDI PCIe card to input the into a Windows PC (Using the/a converter) This way you can use up to date software on a Microsoft Windows OS PC.
Using a computer for capture can be a big failpoint by not having control over the IRE value, a better option is a converter, because with most (good ones) you can check what is used for default, or it can be set for the correct value, otherwise you have to set it for YUV or RGB

DeskTopVideo.jpg
DeskTopVideo.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 657 times

MediaExpress.jpg
MediaExpress.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 663 times

MediaExpressOptions.jpg
MediaExpressOptions.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 660 times

If PAL still doesn't show up you may need to downgrade the Desktop Video Setup software.
(I'm still using 11.3 on my "old" MacBookPro)

About yor last question, The software (drivers) is for more than the Intensity Shuttle only, other devices from BlackMagic Design make also use of it, as soon the device is connected, it will be detected, better have the device connected, before starting the BMD software, only Rec709 is used for (digital) Standard Resolution like PAL or NTSC, any higher is for FullHD 4K, 8K i guess… Wikipedia can tell you more about that, i use a lot of Google, Youtube, or Wikipedia, if i want to research on something..
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started