Different cursors when hovering transitions in timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Aeronaut

Different cursors when hovering transitions in timeline

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 4:33 pm

Mac user with DR 18.6. I don't recall this being an issue before, so I suspect I have some option activated. When I hover the cursor over a transition in the timeline so that I can select and delete the transition, I must carefully hover over the outer edge of the transition in order to get the desired "select" cursor - looks like a vertical line with a horizontal cross line with arrows on each end. (I wish I could attach a screenshot of it, but I've not found a way to capture a screenshot with the actual cursor to show here -- Shift-Command-5 applies a fake plain cursor).

If the transition is large enough to hover across it, the cursor changes from the above to rectangle-bracket-right arrow, or left-right-arrows-with-double-brackets-between, or left arrow-bracket-rectangle.

The end result is a bit-painful process of carefully placing the cursor, clicking to select, then able to delete.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Bonus question: is there a simple-quick way to select multiple transitions and delete them (i.e., not all transitions, just selected ones)? I found a convoluted solution.

DaVinci Resolve is very powerful and I am delighted to have it, but so many actions feel illogical to me. I am having to search long and hard to find the right search phrase to get an answer (often failing to figure out the needed search phrase), and document the answer in my notes. Thankfully, there is a lot of good information out there.

An example, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the stacked timeline layers to simple show just the primary audio and video lines at the bottom of the screen. I drag down.up one horizontal section line and the other line moves out of view. I drag the other and it impacts the first. Frustrating to get it as desired.

Charles Bennett

Re: Different cursors when hovering transitions in timeline

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 10:08 am

That curser symbol that appears near the end of a transition is for adjusting the transition length by dragging. You will also get a double bracket curser at the middle of a transition which is for adjusting the cross point. These are normal. If you zoom into the timeline you can easily click with the normal arrow curser on the transition itself to highlight it.
Attachments
Transition Curser.jpg
Transition Curser.jpg (100.97 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Aeronaut

Re: Different cursors when hovering transitions in timeline

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 12:21 pm

Thank you Charles.

I thought these were displaying because I had accidentally turned on some option. So it is simply because I've zoomed in so the transitions are larger. I am mainly using the touchpad on my Macbook Air and it seems I need to be slow and careful to hover on the right spot vs. being able to do it faster when dealing with a number of transitions. I see also that I should have waited until the last step to add the transitions because I ended up getting a large number of side-by-side transitions instead of one overlapping the junction of each clip. I deleted those and reapplied. But slow having to carefully select and delete each transition one at a time.
Larry

Return to DaVinci Resolve