blackmagic video assist 4k 6G (2019) - advice for batteries

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jenzo19

blackmagic video assist 4k 6G (2019) - advice for batteries

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 5:15 pm

Good evening everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I thank you in advance for any useful feedback. The question is in these terms.
I purchased a Video Assist 4k in 2019 (new from an authorized dealer) and have used it for filmmaking with notable results; Having shot everything indoors I had no problems. The problem arose in subsequent projects; outdoors I have serious difficulties powering the VA. I have spent a fortune on batteries (I currently have 14) but without great results. All the batteries (lp-e6 series) do not show any charge and in the best case scenario they last me 40 minutes (the case of the 2600mah, 7.4V 19.2Wh powerextra). I have tried various brands and various capacities but the situation does not change. On average the batteries last me 20 - 30 minutes without any indication of charging.
Ps I use the VA not only as a monitor but above all as a recorder, usually recording in 1080p ProRes HQ or 2160p ProRes (depends on the projects and machines I connect to it)
Am I doing something wrong or is my VA having some problem?
I can only see the battery charge if I connect one, turn on the VA, wait for it to read the charge and then connect the second battery. At this point I can read the approximate charge, but only ever on one battery. I can read the charge of both batteries only when it is turned on and charging and then I disconnect the power, in this case the charge indicator of both batteries works correctly giving me a charge (approximate but okay, when I reach 30 % unplug and put in new batteries).
I also tried original Canon batteries but I didn't see any changes.
I'm about to shoot in the woods and I would like to be able to work with my VA and I wanted to buy some Baxxtar LP-E6nh 2400mah 17.2v 17.3Wh but I don't want to waste any more money... can you tell me if they're good? Or can you recommend some other way to power the VA for a long time without worries?
Before doing any further shopping I thought I'd ask for your advice.
Thanks everyone in advance.

carlomacchiavello

Re: blackmagic video assist 4k 6G (2019) - advice for batter

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 4:16 pm

I ever used external battery with plate, like for cameras. A plate that output 12v and you are ok for more time. You can grab a bigger Vmount battery + plate, or smaller nfp980 that give you 72w since.
For a smaller setup I prefer the second one.
I had both setup.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Eric-Jan

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 9:28 pm

The VA is a hungry beast,(and the LP-E6 comes only in one (small) "size" where a NP-F slot would be a better choice) best is also to charge the batteries on a good extrnal charger.
If you want to build a "rig" it's wise to use V-mount batteries you do need to adapt the power (connections also) Smallrig has also V-mount batteries you can charge through USB-C or D-Tap so you can save money by not have to buy an expensive V-mount battery charger.
There is a good choice in V-Mount adapter plates, that have also power connections for the rest of your equipment.
Adapting to NP-F batteries keeps it compact, or the use of a wired powerbank can help out.
You can find many examples on Youtube to learn from, for different setups. (PhotoJoseph)

If you're going for the NP-F type batteries, the brand SWIT has a wide range to choose from, SWIT has also the V-mouny in it's range, but the "really big ones" need also a heavy duty type of charger, which comes at a price.

btw. there are also belt-buckles to hook a V-mount battery into
Last edited by Eric-Jan on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

jenzo19

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 11:14 am

photo_2024-02-23_12-01-49.jpg
photo_2024-02-23_12-01-49.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 3579 times

Thanks so much for the directions.
I will try to find a solution in this regard.
One last question/curiosity. Among the various (low-cost) attempts, I tried using a rather large powerbank with an adequate output current combined with a DC booster that gave me 12 volts. Theoretically it should have worked, but it didn't; the VA couldn't turn on. My question is: if I bought two LP E6 batteries with an external USB-C charging connection and attached this powerbank in the photo with the hook and loop straps on the stand for example, would it work? Would the batteries charge while I work?
Thanks again everyone!
In the meantime, I'll try to see the solutions you suggested.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 7:32 pm

jenzo19 wrote:
photo_2024-02-23_12-01-49.jpg

Thanks so much for the directions.
I will try to find a solution in this regard.
One last question/curiosity. Among the various (low-cost) attempts, I tried using a rather large powerbank with an adequate output current combined with a DC booster that gave me 12 volts. Theoretically it should have worked, but it didn't; the VA couldn't turn on. My question is: if I bought two LP E6 batteries with an external USB-C charging connection and attached this powerbank in the photo with the hook and loop straps on the stand for example, would it work? Would the batteries charge while I work?
Thanks again everyone!
In the meantime, I'll try to see the solutions you suggested.

low cost is nfp + smallrig/tilta plate o small battery (not powerbank).
most of powerbank is "smart" and give to device the energy request, but with a converter in between not recognize the real needs.
There are some usb-c real 12v out, but i have dubs that work with it.
Va accept from 12 to 20v

Eric-Jan

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 10:33 pm

LP E6 batteries do not come with a USB-C connection, i guess you mean a dummy adapter… but that is only used if a device has no external DC power connection, The VA does have a DC connection, you must be sure that you make the correct connection, Voltage and current (Ampere) wise, if you keep your choice within the video equipment accessories range , you will find the correct solution by name of it all.
USB-C has it's own protocol for smartphones and fast charging,etc... my guess is that this will not work for video equipment, i should not have mention a powerbank to use, sorry.
Now, the newer BMD VA's use NP-F batteries, which is an improvement, and also use self locking DC connectors.
Could you name your camera/other equipment ? maybe there's a feature among that you can use, D-tap cable to your VA would be an option ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started