Solved: My Dongle died, software license questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

retnev

Solved: My Dongle died, software license questions

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 5:08 pm

My dongle died recently after not using it for a long period time, and I want to buy a new software license to replace it.
What was nice about a dongle is that I could work either on Windows or Linux.
I dont want to lose that dual functionality if I move to a new software license, is that still possible ?

I am a bit soured on usb-dongles in general as they seem to be relying on flash that fails with time, rather than true hardware dongles.
I see online that a lot of people have this issue and I dont want to repeat this experience buying another dongle that will fail, although a dongle is the PERFECT solution for me.

So, is there a way to use a software license on windows and Linux in the same required non-concurrent fashion. ?
Last edited by retnev on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Charles Bennett

Re: My Dongle died, software license questions

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 9:26 pm

I don't know if Blackmagic have a system in place for replacing failed dongles. If you want to go buying a new licence then consider the Activation code route. It works on all OS platforms, you can have any two computers authorized at the same time, and it authorizes Fusion Studio as well. As with the dongle it authorizes past and future Resolve versions. The only thing you must do is keep that code in a safe place with at least a copy of it kept elsewhere.
I think it is still the case that if you purchase from an Authorized Reseller you get the code on a card.
This is what I got when I bought Studio vers 17.
Attachments
Activation Code.jpg
Activation Code.jpg (237.53 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

retnev

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 10:22 pm

Thanks Charles.
That is great if I can have two computers activated. That is absolutely great.
I think I will purchase the software license and just be done with the dongles unless they have really rugged dongles now, in which case I will consider a dongle as it is my preferred no-nonsense solution.

Do you know, what happens if you have to upgrade the OS ?
Do you have to buy a new license again ? or do they allow you to migrate to another computer.
On Linux e.g. I upgrade every year or two and it is a clean reinstall, so I need to know how that works.
Windows usually develops a problem within a year and I have to force reinstall so in both cases I need to know how Resolve license handle these serial migrations.

Thanks

Charles Bennett

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 10:28 pm

You never lose those activations. You can de-activate a machine to use the activation on another, or if you are going to make changes to your system drive, de-activate, make those changes, and then activate again.
Also if those two activations are in use and you go to activate a third machine, the previous two will automatically be de-activated so you still have your two activations, one in use and one available.
The de-activate command is in the Help dropdown menu.
De-activate Licence.jpg
De-activate Licence.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Also an activated computer does not have to be de-activated and then re-activated when installing a new version update of Resolve.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

retnev

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 1:44 am

Charles,

That sounds great and solves my problem.
I appreciate the help.
I will buy a new license.
I will also contact the vendor I bought the dongle from ages ago, to see what they can do, but I cannot wait for that to be resolved, and will get a new software license in addition not to waste time.

Thanks.

retnev

Re: Solved: My Dongle died, software license questions

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 3:47 am

Bought it activated all good.
Again thanks for your great help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve