Timeline File Restore?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MyInkieFingers

Timeline File Restore?

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 6:32 pm

I'm, operating Davinci Resolve Studio 18 (DR18) which is installed on my "D" Drive. I'm operating on Windows 11.
I moved my desk and unplugged all my hard drives, which should not matter as "D" is internal. However, I thought I would mention it as when I turned everything back on again all my DR18 projects were gone. As were my Smart Bins and Power Bins.

I have a bunch of "timeline.########" (the # represents random numbers in the files I have) files in D:\Resolve Install\Resolve Project Backups
In case someone asks when I follow the path: C:\Users\Cyndy-Lynn\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database - there is nothing there.

I've tried "File>Import Timeline" from the edit page of DR18 I route to the "D:\Resolve Install\Resolve Project Backups" and the "timeline.########" files do not appear.
I've tried (on the home screen of DR18) Right Click> "Import Project" and "Restore Project Archive" from the "D:\Resolve Install\Resolve Project Backups" and the "timeline.########" files do not appear.
I've tried "Other Project Backups" and there is nothing there.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in my DR18 preferences the backups go to: "D:\Resolve Install\Resolve Project Backups" which is the same folder I'm trying to restore from.

I feel like I've exhausted all options and nothing is working. I've spent almost 2 hours on google searching but I can't get any directions that help my issue.
Is there something else I can try or are my projects just gone forever? :?

Thank You in advance for any assistance.

EDIT: I'm still poking around and happened to find some files here: L:\Resolve DB\Resolve Project Library\Resolve Projects\Users\guest ... Then there are 3 folders, Configs, Projects, and ProjectMetaDataCache. It's odd that these are here, but it doesn't surprise me because this program is much smarter than me.

Charles Bennett

Re: Timeline File Restore?

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 9:44 am

It is normal practice to install Resolve on your system C:\ drive. It is possible that when you have reconnected your external drives they have been assigned a different drive letter.
In the Project Manager screen clicking the Info button and hovering your curser over the Database name will show you its location.
Attachments
Database Info.jpg
Database Info.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Database Location.jpg
Database Location.jpg (60.8 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MyInkieFingers

Re: Timeline File Restore?

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 5:16 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:It is normal practice to install Resolve on your system C:\ drive. It is possible that when you have reconnected your external drives they have been assigned a different drive letter.
In the Project Manager screen clicking the Info button and hovering your curser over the Database name will show you its location.

Yes I realize that, thank you for reminding me :D
That is in fact the path listed for the databased. But there is nothing in that folder.
I mentioned in my previous post: "In case someone asks when I follow the path: C:\Users\Cyndy-Lynn\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database - there is nothing there" I should have mentioned that is the path listed.
So, if the Local Database is looking in C now, How do I change it?

MyInkieFingers

Re: Timeline File Restore? - FIXED

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 8:37 pm

I fixed it. I added a new DB and then copied and pasted all the files I had into that DB. Voila! There's my content.

Return to DaVinci Resolve