Exploring Blackmagic Cloud Store - More than 4 Users?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

nathanoday

Exploring Blackmagic Cloud Store - More than 4 Users?

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 6:33 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Nathan O'Day and I work at LeTourneau University in Texas in our in-house marketing production studio where we create promotional and education content for our university. We have been using an OWC Lumaforge Jellyfish as our shared media storage solution for collaborative editing since 2019, but we are considering migrating to the Blackmagic Cloud Store.

There are really only two factors about the Cloud Store that I'm trying to figure out before recommending this to my department, and I was hoping someone from this forum might know the answer.
  1. Our current Jellyfish has 8x 10G Ethernet ports. We don't necessarily have to have that many, but going down to 4 ports is a little concerning for me. Wondering if any of the following scenarios are possible:
    1. We daisy-chain two 80TB cloud stores to each other using one of the 10G ethernet ports, enabling 6 usable ports between the two.
    2. We connect one of the 1G ports to the local building network, enabling any other computer in the building with an ethernet connection to access the cloud store at the lower 1G speeds, then reserve the 4 10G ports for the four key workstations that need the highest speeds (we actually do this already with our Jellyfish, but we do have 6 workstations that would be nice to use at the 10G speeds)
    3. We use the 10G ports for 4 computers and then one of the USB-C ports for a fifth high speed computer (don't know what the thoroughput is on that port though).
  2. Our current Jellyfish has 80TB of capacity. We're not that close to maxing it out, but I was wishing there was an option for the Blackmagic Cloud Store that is in between 80TB and 320TB. Do you know if it is possible to get something like 120TB since the 320TB one is "built to order"?
  3. Then finally, it would just be great to know if anyone else has had a good experience with the Cloud Store for a collaborative workflow in a same-building workgroup style setup.

Thanks everyone!

seanbutterworth

Re: Exploring Blackmagic Cloud Store - More than 4 Users?

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 3:50 am

Hi, Nathan

I don't have an answer for you on the Cloud Store, but I would be very interested to know what your experience was like with the Jellyfish, if you wouldn't mind sharing some insights?

Return to Getting Started