Beginner Question!

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

thatguy_brad

Beginner Question!

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 2:28 pm

Hi! Looking for help.

Having some technical issues and hoping it's just a beginner issue. I am trying to connect my external DSLR Nikon 5100 to my Mac laptop via the UltraStudio Monitor 3G. I have a mini HDMI to regular HDMI into the UltraStudio, and then Thunderbolt 3 cable out of the UltraStudio into the cpu. (I had previously been using a regular USB-C cable and received the "cannot connect to external device and realized I needed a true thunderbolt 3, not receiving that error any more so feel like that's not the issue). I downloaded the latest BlackMagic Software, 12.8.1. But when I turn everything on, the computer is not recognizing anything. Only video option that is showing is built in camera to the Mac. Am I missing a step? I'm sure this is a user error on my end, but needing some direction on next troubleshooting steps?

Thanks!

Eric-Jan

Re: Beginner Question!

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 2:26 pm

The BMD Monitor converter, is to connect a monitor to your laptop, so it's an output device,
you need the RECORD version to input video from your camera into the laptop.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started