Intensity Shuttle or Intensity Extreme?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Bootie Cothran

Intensity Shuttle or Intensity Extreme?

PostThu Nov 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi,
I'm looking to take the uncompressed HDMI program out from my ATEM Television Studio and capture it via Thunderbolt to a Mac, and also convert the signal to s-video for sending to a real-time DVD recorder deck.

Looks like the Extreme or the Shuttle could do both of these tasks, unless I'm missing something. The Extreme costs more but I don't see what I'm getting with that that I'm not getting in the Shuttle. I do see the Extreme says it is compatible with Final Cut Pro, which I am using. Is that to say the Shuttle isn't?? Just need some clarification and advice on which one will do best what I need.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Mike Squires

Re: Intensity Shuttle or Intensity Extreme?

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 am

A couple of things:

1. Both work with FCP

2. The Extreme is smaller than the Shuttle, and made out of aluminum, while the Shuttle is a little larger and made out of plastic (I'm talking about the outer casing).

3. The Shuttle will accept 8-channels of audio via HDMI, while the Extreme only accepts 2-channels.

4. The Extreme has a S/PDIF output, while the Shuttle doesn't.

For what you need, it sounds like the Shuttle will suffice. I own a Shuttle (USB 3.0 model), and it works great. All outputs work simultaneously, which is a huge plus.

Bootie Cothran

PostFri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks, Mike. One other question about the Shuttle...

How does it handle the conversion to 4:3 over the SD outputs? Will it crop the video or letterbox it, or can the user select that?

Mike Squires

PostTue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm pretty sure it's user select for center-cut or letterbox.

Return to Getting Started