Capturing in ProRes format on Windows?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Brett Crossley

Capturing in ProRes format on Windows?

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 am

I have just installed Decklink in an Intel based PC (Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 mobo, 16GB RAM, i5 processor, 4TB SATA drive). I have read the Desktop Video PDF and installed v 10.11. I am only interested in capturing composite PAL at this time, so I have set the Blackmagic control panel for composite video / analog audio I/O, and default system is PAL.

When I run Media Express and go to Prefs, my project type is PAL, and I can capture in AVI 8-bit YUV, or 10-bit, or AVI Motion JPG, or DVX. If I run the Speed Test, it's flying, and sure enough I can capture any of the above formats with no dropped frames (I'm using a Hi-8 camera as test source).

Because I want to capture to ProRes, I installed QuickTime v7.75 and verified that a ProRes MOV plays OK in QuickTime Player. Now, I run Media Express again, expecting to see all the QT codecs that I can use for capture, but it's still just the 4 AVI ones. How can I use Media Express to capture in ProRes MOV format on Windows? Or is ProRes capture a Mac-only thing?

The Decklink specs at blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/decklink/techspecs say it supports (...) Apple ProRes 4444, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Apple ProRes 422, Apple ProRes (LT), Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy) etc.

The blurb at blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/decklink/mediaexpress says that Media Express capture 'supports uncompressed YUV and RGB QuickTime, AVI and DPX plus compressed ProRes, DVCPRO, MJPEG formats'. It's touted as a fully cross-platform app, with Mac, Windows and Linux supported.

I will be getting a Mac and another Decklink and can use this for ProRes if that's the only way.. it just seems to me that it should be possible in Windows. I'm a Decklink newbie, so any input gratefully received!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: Capturing in ProRes format on Windows?

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 10:35 pm

quicktime for Windows have only ProRes codec playback .. not recording ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Adam Simmons

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 10:53 pm

As Pytkin said Quicktime for Windows is limited to Prores playback. This is down to Apple not releasing the encoding side to Windows. It may be possible to use a 3rd Party Prores compatible codec to capture by using something like Medialooks Direct Take

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22480
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.
Building Bespoke Video Editing systems for over 16 years

Malcom Sanders

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 11:47 pm

I think the vanilla Quicktime is limited to ProRes playback only. But Apple has been loosening up a bit with licensing ProRes. Take a look here at a list of ProRes Authorized Products: support.apple.com/kb/HT5959 (sorry, not allowed to post URLs yet). Some of these solutions are Windows only (MTI Film Cortex, DVS products, Quantel Pablos to name a few) and export ProRes MOV files. So I think Blackmagic just needs to jump on board and get authorized for Windows Resolve.

Adam Simmons

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am

Getting 'authorized' probably costs a hefty fee otherwise other editing packages would have already done it
DVC Built Clevo P775DM3-G Laptop with UHD screen, 7700K CPU@4.9Ghz, Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GPU, G-Sync UHD screen, 500GB M.2 Primary, 1x 480GB SSD, 1x1TB M.2, 1x 2TB Video drives.

Brett Crossley

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 am

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. I emailed Blackmagic support, and got a reply from Warwick Morris from New Magic Australia, who said 'Medialooks Direct Take is a 3rd party application that can be downloaded for free' and pointed me to http // blog.medialooks.com/8m1X56/ (excuse the mangled url).

I tried Medialooks Direct Take, and it works beautifully; I can capture any QuickTime codec directly in Windows, including ProRes. However Direct Take does not provide deck control (via Sony 9-pin) and this is needed for my application. That being said, Direct Take is written using the 'MPlatform SDK', and the developers seem to be very responsive to feature requests; I will ask about machine control on their blog.

Maybe some of the users here can test the Direct Take app and feed the results back. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Lloyd Slapar

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 10:48 pm

We have the DeckLink SDI 4K card and we cannot seem to activate any QT recording codecs. Is there something we're doing incorrectly? We've installed the QT pro and the DeckLink 10.1.4 SDK software, but we still just get
DNxHD and AVI for the record options.

Adam Simmons

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 5:49 am

If you are on Windows then this is normal as Windows can't record into ProRes natively.
What software are you trying to use to capture with?

Gereral1

PostSun Dec 16, 2018 2:31 am

There is one way to capture with blackmagic cards to prores 422 10bit hq in windows. Google youtube prores 422 capture and you will see a detailed video how to capture camera source and verify 422 10 bit color in file. Then do a simple container change and import into davanci resolve. Works great.

The video is called
BlackMagic Decklink 4k 422 10bit capture In ProRes DNxHR HQ 422 10Bit To Davanci Resolve in windows

I actually own blackmagic decklink 4k mini capture card and licence of davanci resolve studio 15.2

I was going to buy atomos recorder until I figured it out. I run 2 500g ssds in raid 0 and capture rate is 405 mb/s prores. With this size you can manage these files easy. Media express is crazy. 10 gig every 5 sec lol

Gereral1

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm

For some reason there censoring Google search for this. Search gereral1 and it's on youtube. Got to love Google! It was listed top 5 last night....

djkoelkast

PostWed Feb 03, 2021 8:57 pm

I know this is a really old topic, but does anybody still have this free version?
I have an old Win 7 machine, old Betacam hobby tapes and I want to capture them in ProRes 422, but I can't with Media Express and Davinci Resolve Studio (of which I have a license for) doesn't allow me to capture with my Decklink mini recorder...

And now the software you linked to is like $500, while it was free in 2014. As all I use is old stuff anyway I'm more than happy to use this old version. Hope there is someone with an archive (through archive.org I could only obtain the 2.1 version that needs registration, it will show a watermark if you don't).

So long story short: I have a Decklink mini recorder, I want to capture in ProRes 422 from SDI, source is Betacam (SP or Digi, usually 2-4 audio tracks) in Windows 7. But nothing will let me.

CSMichael

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 8:35 pm

Any luck? Trying to do the same.

CSMichael

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm

FWIW I seem to have been able to get this working using OBS. If you select advanced encoder settings, you can use ffmpeg and select the ProRes Codec. Then, I know it's not the default audio codec for ProRes, but I've selected alac (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which should be the same quality wise as 16 bit Linear PCM.

I'm sure some old video engineer will tell me why this doesn't work or is a bad idea, but as far as I can tell I'm getting a 444 file in the proper color space. As far as I can tell, it satisfies the "Visually Lossless" criteria of a ProRes file. The resulting file, so far, has been able to be opened in any program I'd need it to.

bobosola

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 9:22 pm

CSMichael wrote:I'm sure some old video engineer will tell me why this doesn't work or is a bad idea
Not a video engineer, but this subject does come up in the Resolve forum from time to time. The general consensus is that because FFmpeg's ProRes codec is reverse-engineered, it does not fully match the Apple ProRes in subtle ways. Apple are also fairly rude about it as you might expect. Also, the file metadata apparently has different licence header data from Apple's ProRes which might possibly cause some picky applications to not recognise it.

But if it it works for you then go for it! I'm sure FFmpeg and/or OBS would put up a warning in the docs if there were any serious issues with it, but there are no such warnings. It has been the go-to unofficial Windows ProRes encoder for years now. It's about time Apple set it free for for all platforms - it's not like they need the money.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 2:58 am

bobosola wrote:It's about time Apple set it free for for all platforms - it's not like they need the money.

100% agree.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 6:01 am

It is free money wise, as has been said time and again. If software vendors don’t wish to comply with official prores license requirements it is their choice, but it is not about money.
I do stuff

CSMichael

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:It is free money wise...

Is it really? Then why doesn't Resolve on Windows support ProRes? All of their products, for the most part support ProRes, so why not on Windows? It really doesn't make sense, especially if Adobe can do it. Are you sure it's free? If it's free, why would DJI charge a $500 activation fee for the privilege of recording to a "free" codec? I'm sure you could argue developer costs...but c'mon...

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 6:04 am

That’s a question for BMD. Fusion has authorized prores encoder on windows. Almost every other NLE has it too. People actually working in engineering of softwares that have official prores encoder have stated that license itself has no fee. I am yet to see someone working in engineering in one of those stating there is a fee and how much it costs.
I do stuff

Mark Foster

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:03 am

CSMichael wrote:
Hendrik Proosa wrote:It is free money wise...

Is it really? Then why doesn't Resolve on Windows support ProRes? All of their products, for the most part support ProRes, so why not on Windows? It really doesn't make sense, especially if Adobe can do it. Are you sure it's free? If it's free, why would DJI charge a $500 activation fee for the privilege of recording to a "free" codec? I'm sure you could argue developer costs...but c'mon...

decode (import) is free, but encode (export*) is not free

* also record in a camera
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 10:49 am

Mark Foster wrote:decode (import) is free, but encode (export*) is not free

Here we go again. Do you have any source besides internet activists who can tell it has a fee attached and how much does it cost?

Let me quite Mazze Aderhold from Assimilate here, from Scratch (the one which has authorized Prores encoding on windows) engineering team:
Thing is, there is no license fee. It's free. Apple does not charge for it.
Certain requirements have to be met in order for one to get the license, that's all.
The difficulty with that is, that a few of those requirements might not fit or be in conflict with your own company policy,
and are therefore not easy (or even impossible) to fullfill.

Quote is from: https://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.p ... ost-130818
I do stuff

Mark Foster

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 11:48 am

ok, you are right
both are free, but licensing is necessary

interesting that adobe does not have a valid proresRAW license

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 11:57 am

Mark Foster wrote:interesting that adobe does not have a valid proresRAW license

Probably ProresRAW is just too new at this point. A lot of softwares which have Prores encoders don't have raw added yet.
I do stuff

Mark Foster

PostWed Aug 24, 2022 3:58 pm

apple keeps this page very up to date though
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)