Connecting laptop to Production Studio 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Travis Bullock

Connecting laptop to Production Studio 4k

PostSun Mar 27, 2016 8:13 am

Is there a trick to getting a Macbook or any PC laptop connecting toe the Production Studio 4k?

I had it connected to my mac, but I can't see any signal at all. However, my mac knows it's connected b/c it alters my display properties? I had signal but have sense lost it and don't know why. I have tried 3 other laptops and cannot get them to display in the any of the preview windows on the multview monitor. I'm connected HDMI directly into Input 1. If I connect my laptop directly to the Blackmagic recorder - it pops up in the preview screen. So I know it's outputting correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Travis

bobmax48

Re: Connecting laptop to Production Studio 4k

PostTue Mar 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Yesterday I was talking to a media person that uses Blackmagic equipment. He told me that the problem with connecting a laptop is that the laptop wants to connect as 60 fps. I do not know a solution as we did not go into depth about the problem.

Trufin Valeriu

PostWed Mar 30, 2016 8:41 pm

To connect a PC via HDMI to an ATEM, first check what resolution/frequency is the ATEM set to.
ex. ATEM = 1080i@59.94
On a PC find your way to the resolution options in the display settings.

I have Windows 10 so the next steps are from there but they should be similar on other Windows versions.

Right Click on the desktop (on empty space) and get to the Display Settings
Scroll down and click Advanced display settings
You should have the Multiple displays set as Extend these displays
Select the BMD display and click on Display adapter properties
A pop up window should appear, click on List All Modes
Scroll and select 1080 /29 Hertz Interlaced

Here you can select any interlaced resolution from NTSC (480) / PAL (576) / 720 / 1080. Just remember that the frequency has to be set at half the frame-rate set in the ATEM (@60 = 30 Hertz, @59 = 29 Hertz, @50 = 25 Hertz)

Travis Bullock

PostThu Apr 07, 2016 4:09 am

Thank you guys for getting back to me. I did figure out that with the the ATEM, all inputs have to be the exact same. Once I was able to make all inputs 1080p @ 59.94 I was fine.

Only problem I am having now is when the laptop is outputting PowerPoint - it looses signal if we are in presenter mode. I have presenters that are insistent on needing their "notes" so they must be in presenter view. But I can't make it work.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking that when PP is in presenter mode, it has to be outputting a different rate than the 59.94 the laptop is set to?

Christian Sass

PostFri May 07, 2021 9:17 am

I was able to get HDMI input to show up when set to 1080p 59.97 with the following settings:

2021-05-07 04_17_07-NVIDIA Control Panel.png
2021-05-07 04_17_07-NVIDIA Control Panel.png (41.72 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Return to Live Production