Laserdisc transfer

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

c5_convertible

Laserdisc transfer

PostSun Sep 02, 2012 8:36 am

Hi,

I just bought an intensity pro card, and I would like to use that to transfer some laserdiscs I own to DVD (as I don't have room to put the laserdisc player anymore).
The laserdiscs are NTSC discs. I would like to transfer them to DVD, and I would like to know the best capture setting for this. My laserdisc player has a S-video output, and is a PAL device (I live in Europe), that can either output PAL 60 or NTSC.

I would prefer to capture in 720p50, but it seems that the card does not allow that. Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong? I've tried with the player in its PAL60, NTSC and NTSC3.58 setting, but the result remains the same (except for some color changes).

What would be the best setting on the player, and the best setting on the card to get as much detail as possible and as close as possible color reproduction?

c5_convertible

Re: Laserdisc transfer

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 2:25 pm

bump...

bendermac

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 5:38 pm

why 720p? stay in native formats (ntsc or pal) and don't use pal60 for ntsc laserdiscs.
i also recommend that you capture the pcm audio through toslink for the best quality.
codec: depending what os you use you should capture in the best possible quality. on mac use prores 422 or 422 hq or uncompressed if you can handle it. on windows i'd recommend uncompressed.

c5_convertible

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of 720p to make it easier to transfer to blu-ray. But, i'll stay in ntsc then.
I'm going to capture the audio using the normal rca's and at the same time capture the ac-3/dts decoded streams using a small decoder on another pc.
Later on, i'll transfer everything into vegas pro, and render it to ac-3
The captured audio together with the video, will be used to align everything.

I'm on windows, and i can transfer about 350 mb/s, so that should be no problem to use uncompressed.

Return to Getting Started