Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K Nintendo Switch

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Steve Werner

Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K Nintendo Switch

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:32 pm

i need some serious help with this. for some reason the only resolution i can get is 480. even when i change the settings in the utility or in media express the settings just change back to capture in 480. pleeeeeeease help me!!!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K Nintendo Switch

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:34 pm

You'll need to check settings on the Switch to see what it's actually outputting as more than likely, the Intensity Pro 4K is auto detecting what is connected to it.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Steve Werner

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:52 pm

i added a couple of screen shots. any ideas?
Attachments
media express.jpg
media express.jpg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 16752 times
utility.jpg
utility.jpg (58.36 KiB) Viewed 16752 times

Joe Bernstein

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 am

I'm having the same problem. It seems like the Switch automatically adapts to what it's connected to instead of outputting what I ask. I have the TV resolution set to 1080p on the Switch, but that makes no difference when connected to the 4K. I don't know anything about HDMI connections, but is there a way for the 4K to "act" like a 1080p TV? Really at a loss here. Don't even know what to try next.

Robin Henkel

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello

I have the same problem. The switch seems to automatically detect the Intensity 4k capabilities and for some reason thinks that it only supports NTSC. Sadly it's not possible to enforce 720p/1080p output. Its a real dilemma. Is this a Switch or a Intensity bug?

Best regards.

Greg Rockey

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 6:41 am

I hope this is solved soon, I was excited to receive this card today just for the purposes of recording Switch gameplay, I guess I should have gone with another card I guess.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Just a quick google with set to since last week reveales a lot of people are complaining about the Switch not working propperly on HDMI..
TV's that won't display a signal, Failling HDMI ports, Intermitted signals...
Reports of some people get it fixed by updating the software of the switch..

Elgato seems to get a capture running in 720P but not on 1080P.

Since the Switch is just 1 week on the market and so many reports of HDMI problems.. I would wait and let it settle a few weeks to get a update out for the Switch to get things right.. But also go complain at the nintendo forum if you not already did this.. Because if many people complain about it.. They should fix the issue right? :?

It sounds to me that the switch has a serious EDID malefunction.. So this could be the reason that the BMD cards go in NTSC or 480.... :roll:

What you could try is to put a HDMI splitter between the Switch and TV. Let them connect an play so the edid info is running 1080 or 720 or whatever... Then connect the capturecard and see what happens..

If you have to buy a HDMI splitter i would recommend one with EDID manegement like this one for 50 dollars https://www.marmitek.com/en/product-det ... 12-uhd.php
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Joe Bernstein

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 5:53 am

First, let me thank Xtreemtec for his suggestion.

I purchased a splitter with EDID management (namely the Blackbird 4K Pro 1x2 from Monoprice) and it works like a charm. I set the splitter to 1080p, input the Switch, output to the Intensity Pro 4K, and get 1080p video to work with. Sucks that I had to spend ~$30 , but I'm very happy with the Intensity Pro 4K, so I'm glad I still get to use it with the Switch with such a cheap fix.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks Joe for the feedback and confirming my suspicious that it was indeed an EDID fault.. :)

Glad you got it fixed!! :mrgreen:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Cédric Lalouette

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Hello,

I am still having this issue with my Intensity Pro 4K card in 11.5.0.0 :( But I don't have this issue with the Quad HDMI Recorder capture card. Of course I can use a device between the Nintendo Switch and the Intensity Pro 4K but it is not an optimal solution. By the way it's working with a basic 1x2 splitter or even with a Video Assist... between Nintendo Switch and Intensity Pro 4K.

Is there something planned to make the Intensity Pro 4K work with Nintendo Switch or other "sensitive" devices ?

Thank you for helping !

Cédric Lalouette

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 am

Any help from Blackmagic ? Please :(

Cédric Lalouette

PostFri Jun 26, 2020 12:57 pm

It seems that the procedure mentionned on this website is working : https://www.jamesbadger.ca/2019/07/07/intensity-pro-4k-and-nintendo-switch/

A driver fix would be appreciated !

ChrisYoung

PostFri Nov 26, 2021 7:02 am

I purchased an "EDID Feeder" from eBay for about $30. Setting it to 'F' (1080P HD) allows the Switch to connect reliably to the Intensity Pro 4K. I wish I didn't have to buy another product to get my BlackMagic product to work with one of the most popular items today, but I guess it's still a low priority for some reason.

Return to Getting Started