Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not Detected

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Thomas Overend

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not Detected

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I am banging my head against a wall trying to get a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt to work.

I have an MSI GS40 6QE Phantom. The port is definitely Thunderbolt 3.

I am connected to the Shuttle by a Thunderbolt 2 cable with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

There is a single HDMI cable in the HDMI IN port, connected to a Canon XA20.

I have installed and reinstalled all Thunderbolt driver and firmware. My laptop is up-to-date with all drivers as listed on MSI's website, and I have updated the BIOS and enabled the Thunderbolt firmware update through that. I have installed the Blackmagic software.

I have the camera set up to output HDMI at 50i.

However, nothing is detected. I can see, via the Thunderbolt software, that 'Port 1' shows up, but no other device information is available.

When I open Desktop Video Setup, it says "No Desktop Video Device Detected".

Should the unit light up or something? There is no evidence of it even recieving power. There is absolutely no indication of the unit being anything more than an expensive paperweight.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not Detected

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Have you tried a different adapter? A way to eliminate the Shuttle from being the issue here is by checking the device with an actual Thunderbolt 1/2 port on a Mac/Windows system.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

RaulRamirez

PostSun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello, Toda i Start My Macbook and the system toldme there was an update, i accept it, and the o connect my blackmagic design intensity shuttle with thunderbolt as usual and i had this message.

"no desktop video device detected" and i can't solve it

i re start the computer 5 times
use diferent port
plug and unplug several times
uninstall and reinstall the blackmagic design desktop video

and the situation still the same

Please Help me, i dont know what to do

Colin Barrett

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 10:31 pm

I have used a Shuttle Thunderbolt on one of my Mac workstations since 2012 (although it's now been shelved in favour of an Ultrastudio Express Thunderbolt on the system in question - much, much better!) and this was a problem I experienced a lot. It turns out that the Thuderbolt cable itself had developed a fault because when I obtained another one it worked ok. I don't know what changed the status of the first cable, though!

The Intensity Shuttle isn't the most reliable piece of BMD kit, it has to be said. It's very flaky and temperamental.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

brendanleespengler

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Has this issue not been resolved yet?! I have the same problem. Just bought the Thunderbolt version of the Intensity Shuttle. My iMac recognizes it on the system report, but the Desktop Video Setup software from BlackMagicDesign gives me a "No Desktop Video Device Detected." I wasted a large portion of my workday trying to figure this out. No answer from BMD. Looks like this issue has been going on for YEARS?

brendanleespengler

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 2:30 am

I don't know who Tony Rivera is, but he is a genius!

"> Point 4.05
High Sierra and Decklink / Ultrastudio products
There are issues with high sierra and drivers for the capture and playback devices.
Read this topic for several solutions.
BMD Devices not recognised in Mac OSX High Sierra

Tony Rivera wrote:
Most likely you see this behavior due to the new security features in the macOS High Sierra.
If you already confirmed that the Blackmagic Design device is showing up in the ▸About This Mac▸System Report…▸USB/Thunderbolt, then you will need to allow it in the System Preferences▸Security & Privacy▸General.

There you will need to look for a text message similar to "System software from developer Blackmagic Design was blocked from loading." as well as the [Allow] button right next to that message. Click the button to allow.
Because this message may only appear for about 30 minutes after the installation of the Desktop Video software on your computer, you may need to perform a full reinstall of the Desktop Video software. To do so:
1. Navigate to the Application▸Blackmagic Desktop Video… and launch the Uninstall Desktop Video.app. Restart your computer as prompted.
2. Download and install the most current version of the Desktop Video (10.9.11 and later). Follow on-screen prompts to restart the computer.
3. Once the system is fully up, go to the System Preferences▸Security & Privacy▸General and Allow the Blackmagic Design system software.
4. Due to a rarely occurring unexpected behavior in the macOS 10.13. X you might need to perform steps 1–3 once more."

Fountain

PostFri May 24, 2019 8:43 am

Of course it's not directly something to do with Intensity Shuttle. I am connecting Intensity Extreme to a Dell Windows 10 laptop but it's showing "No Desktop Video Device Detected". Do I need some more drivers to make it work?

NOTE: The Intensity Extreme LED light is not lighting when connected to a Windows laptop but lights up when connected to a MacBook Pro. In other words, it's working seamlessly on Mac.

ErykJaroszewicz

PostSat Jul 16, 2022 6:42 am

Did anybody succeeded to use Intensity Shuttle Extreme on Windows? (via thunderbolt port) - I see only failured attempts on forum...

Fountain wrote:Of course it's not directly something to do with Intensity Shuttle. I am connecting Intensity Extreme to a Dell Windows 10 laptop but it's showing "No Desktop Video Device Detected". Do I need some more drivers to make it work?

NOTE: The Intensity Extreme LED light is not lighting when connected to a Windows laptop but lights up when connected to a MacBook Pro. In other words, it's working seamlessly on Mac.

Eric-Jan

PostSun Jul 17, 2022 9:36 pm

ErykJaroszewicz wrote:Did anybody succeeded to use Intensity Shuttle Extreme on Windows? (via thunderbolt port) - I see only failured attempts on forum...

Fountain wrote:Of course it's not directly something to do with Intensity Shuttle. I am connecting Intensity Extreme to a Dell Windows 10 laptop but it's showing "No Desktop Video Device Detected". Do I need some more drivers to make it work?

It's powered by the Thunderbolt port….. so any adapters in between can cut off the power, or the security settings of the Operating system needs to be changed ?
could a powersaving sceme of the OS be active ?
or the Extreme is plugged into a mini-display port ?
The thunderbolt cable should be marked as such, so not mini-display port cable which has the same connectors.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

krikorola

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 6:58 am

here is the asnwer for the M1 users:
not compatible

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=163741&p=865513&hilit=intensity+shuttle+thunderbolt#p865513

It would be nice from BM to develop a compatible driver so those units don't end up being bricks.
The fact that system report sees the interface indicates that it is totally possible, it would just need a little effort from the developers.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 9:00 pm

I'm keeping an "old" MacBookPro with corresponding OS for that purpouse, and having a second hand one for the new OS & i7 cpu….. The Intensity Shuttle is the only one that can capture 625p
Some of my software can't run on the new OS … yes, it's a mess…
the capture or recording of video is best done not with any computer, but with a hardware recorder HDMI/SDI and using a converter where needed, keeping in mind that also "cleaning up" is needed for analog video.
If only HDMI is used, BMD has Ultra recorders for 3G 12G TB3 for recent OS and hardware setups.
But holding on to your old computer saves you money, against buying each time new hardware, but the new harware is updated to higher resolutions or higher frame rates, when bulk workflow is needed, it's affordable i guess...
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

krikorola

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 pm

There is no way I’m gonna buy a fancy recorder for this and no way I’m gonna get an older computer just for it too. This is reversing the problem. The problem here is that BM won’t make a driver for a perfectly working unit (recognized by the M1 machine) just because they don’t make money out of it anymore. Even a company like Apple developed an M1 driver for the old emagic midi interface they stopped selling years ago.
I guess the only thing that could happen would be that some independent développer would make a driver for it… I’m gonna pass on this and turn to a cheap encoder, quality won’t be high but at least I’ll be able to do it.

Eric-Jan wrote:I'm keeping an "old" MacBookPro with corresponding OS for that purpouse, and having a second hand one for the new OS & i7 cpu….. The Intensity Shuttle is the only one that can capture 625p
the capture or recording of video is best done not with any computer, but with a hardware recorder HDMI/SDI and using a converter where needed, keeping in mind that also "cleaning up" is needed for analog video.
If only HDMI is used, BMD has Ultra recorders for 3G 12G TB3 for recent OS and hardware setups.
But holding on to your old computer saves you money, against buying each time new hardware, but the new harware is updated to higher resolutions or higher frame rates, when bulk workflow is needed, it's affordable i guess...

Eric-Jan

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 10:50 am

krikorola wrote:There is no way I’m gonna buy a fancy recorder for this and no way I’m gonna get an older computer just for it too. This is reversing the problem. The problem here is that BM won’t make a driver for a perfectly working unit (recognized by the M1 machine) just because they don’t make money out of it anymore. Even a company like Apple developed an M1 driver for the old emagic midi interface they stopped selling years ago.
I guess the only thing that could happen would be that some independent développer would make a driver for it… I’m gonna pass on this and turn to a cheap encoder, quality won’t be high but at least I’ll be able to do it.

Eric-Jan wrote:I'm keeping an "old" MacBookPro with corresponding OS for that purpouse, and having a second hand one for the new OS & i7 cpu….. The Intensity Shuttle is the only one that can capture 625p

Don't know what you are using the Intensity Shuttle for, BMD should make a new updated one i guess, that one could be cheaper and with better quality, the Intensity Shuttle is one of the best capture devices for analog video, BMD is a hardware producer…. for HDMI "capture" there are also other (more) options available, that should be no problem, the real problem here is dat computers are constantly upgrading, if you can call this a problem…. so that's why it's beter to first convert analog video the right way, and record it, this workflow is easy and will also give better results, and is much faster, because rendering of a clean signal will go faster. Capturing analog video is really a niche, what that concerns, vcr tapes will degrade over the years, not as fast as expected, good playback vcr's become also rare, good TBC equipment even more.

Return to Getting Started