Trying to get an Intensity Pro to work

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Rumi

Trying to get an Intensity Pro to work

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 1:13 am

Hello,

This is my first BM product and I am not sure if my new Intensity Card is working correctly or not.

I am trying to capture video in Vegas Pro 12. New computer (Windows 7 64bit), new installation of Vegas, new Intensity Pro card. No other software on the computer right now. Video source is HDMI 720p 60hz from a document camera. I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers from BM (desktop video 9.7).

When I run Media Express, I can record the video feed from the camera and see the action live on the preview screen within Media Express. However, at no point do I ever get a signal out of the monitor HDMI port on the Intensity card. I have verified that the monitor and cable are working, but my monitor continuously reports 'no signal' when connected to the Intensity HDMI-out port. Not sure if this means I have a faulty card or if there is something else I am supposed to do to get video output.

The second and more important problem is that I cannot capture video in Vegas Pro 12. When I try, I get nothing but black. The preview window in Vegas displays black and the captured video is black. At other times I get "device error" message instead of the black. In my options for capture devices I only have the choice for "Blackmagic Design DeckLink" (does NOT say Intensity Pro). Not sure if this indicative of something or not.

So at this point I am stuck and I am not sure if it is my own incompetence or hardware failure at fault here.

Mike Squires

Re: Trying to get an Intensity Pro to work

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 3:14 am

In Vegas, under the Decklink device, click on settings or properties. You then have to select the correct resolution and framerate.

Rumi

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 am

Mike - thanks for the suggestion. I've already tried to set the video settings to what seems to match my video feed. Currently using the "HD 720-60p (1280X720, 59.94 fps)" setting. I couldn't see anything else in the Capture Preferences to change that seems relevant, but if you have suggestions I will try it.

Also - should I expect any video coming out of the HDMI-out port?

Mike Squires

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm stumped on the Vegas issue, though I don't use Vegas, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Regarding HDMI-out, yes, you should have a signal. Go into the Blackmagic Control panel (Windows Control Panel->Hardware and Sound), and make sure that HDMI out is turned on.

Rumi

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

OK I think I have found the source of my Vegas problem, but have not found the solution.

My video source is 720P 60.00

In the BM desktop video control panel (windows) the 720 video options I have are:
HD 720p 50
HD 720p 59.94
HD 720p 60

And within the BM Media Express program, I have those same three options. I can successfully capture my video within Media Express using the HD 720p 60 option. If I chose the 59.94fps option, it doesn't work.

The problem is that within Vegas, the only options within the "Capture Preferences" are now:
HD 720-60p (1280X720 59.94 fps)
HD 720-50p (1280X720 50.00 fps)

So for whatever reason, Vegas does not have a 60.00 fps option. I believe that if I had this option, it would work.

As a test, I took a video source from a DVD player (1080p 29.97) and was able to capture video in both the Media Express and in Vegas, as that option was available in both. So it does seem that my card is working.

So my questions are: (a) why don't I have a 720p 60.00fps option in Vegas and (b) is there anything I can do about this or am I just SOL.

Thanks.

Mike Squires

PostMon Mar 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Can you edit the preset in Vegas?

Rumi

PostTue Mar 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Not that I have been able to figure out so far. I don't understand why the presets that I see in the BM Control Panel are not the same ones that I see in the Vegas Capture preferences. I thought maybe I could add my own but so far it doesn't look that way.

Return to Getting Started