Help Setting up a live broadcasting studio with BMD

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

rhandoyo

Help Setting up a live broadcasting studio with BMD

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 am

All,

I am a newbie here. Would like to get some help in setting up a live broadcasting studio with BMD. Anybody can help me or direct me to the right person or previous discuss topic would gladly appreciated.

I am setting up 2 studios interconnected with 1 master control. Studio would be approximately 20 km in distance. Each studio has 2 cameras and live shows that hopefully can be interactive.

Some products that I think I am going to get.
- ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher.
- ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel (Opt.)
- ATEM Camera Converter x 4
- ATEM Studio Converter
- Hyperdesk Studio
- Ultra Studio Pro (Media Express Incl.)
- Smart Videohub.

Can somebody advise me on this?

Daniel Knoche

Re: Help Setting up a live broadcasting studio with BMD

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 am

Yes there are some topics already around.

It looks like you have a good basis but a few questions that spring to mind:
-why the videohub. All your switching will be through the 1M/E. Unless you need to route the signals elsewhere?
-and the ultrastudio pro? (assume for capture and playout from from a Windows machine via USB3?, in which case USB from the 1M/E can connect directly and use Media Express to capture)
-Assume you have fibre from 1 location to the other (or several lots)
-Studio Converter at the same location as 2 of the cameras/master control? Using the camera converters for talkback to all 4 cameras?
-Hyperdeck studio is as back up recording?
-Audio integrated into the cameras and then through the SDI? Mixed in the 1 M/E?
-Assume sending vision from cameras to other sites for the interactivity from an Aux out? and when needed converted to fibre etc? and then onto local screens so that the presenters can see the people in the other studio (Rather than the program? or as well as? Did you need 1 screen for each camera showing the other location?) (Only have 3 aux out on the 1 M/E, 6 on the 2M/E
- Will you ever need all 4 camera views on screen at the same time? If so 1M/E can't do it (only the 2 M/E)

Am sure only touching the basics of this but hope this helps. Happy to write more/clarify
Daniel

DidiKunz

PostWed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 pm

rhandoyo wrote:I am a newbie here. Would like to get some help in setting up a live broadcasting studio with BMD. Anybody can help me or direct me to the right person or previous discuss topic would gladly appreciated.

I am setting up 2 studios interconnected with 1 master control. Studio would be approximately 20 km in distance. Each studio has 2 cameras and live shows that hopefully can be interactive.

Would be interssting to know more: How will the programm, that you want to produce be? What kind of shows? What kind of interactivity? How many talents in front of the camera? How many people in each local control room? Any effects or graphics? How will the signal go from the studio's to the master control room? What will happening there (sat uplink, cable headend, something else)? And last but not least: How much money do you have?

rhandoyo

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 8:16 am

thanks for replying,

i would producing mostly talkshows with some performance from bands, etc. would prob have at least 2-5 within 1 studio. (tho, i dont need all 5 to be in screen the whole time). i am thinking to control everything at the master control room with 1 switcher so i dont have to sent many people out everytime. the signal will be sent through wifi and/or FO from studio to the master control. then it will be broadcasted to our server. Lets say money isn't the problem. i want to know what best setup i could have.

Also, i would love to have ability to record raw file as well as final broadcast file. any suggestion?

DidiKunz

PostThu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 am

So, if 'money is not the problem' I would sugest another way of working: As everyday practice shows, it does not make sense to have a distance between control room and set, because you have longer reaction time, if for instance a wireless-microphone fails etc. It does also not make sense to send the camera signals over long distance, because this gives some delays and various other problems.

I would use at least 3 cameras, because two is normaly not enough if you have more than one person in front of the camera, you have only borring pictures otherways. I would use at least two cameraman (the 3rd camera can be a fixed total view), for multiple persons you need someone to mix the sound and one on the vision mixer. And I would control the show from a room next to the local studio and send the final mixed broadcast to the master control room for distribution. This way you will also have lower fiber-renting-fees, because you only need one line and not multiple. At the master control you need only one person (or a clever automation) to switch feeds and play clips (advertising?) in between.

And never, ever try to send broadcast video over WiFi that does not work stable enough for broadcast contribution. You see, money always is the problem in broadcasting. It is always more expensive, as one thinks.

I will not start recomending any technical products, because I think, it should be a clearer concept of how the workflows should be, before we can start with the details.

rhandoyo

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 5:49 am

hi didikunz,

totally makes sense! Let me get back to my drawing board before further discussion. Thanks tho. appreciate your help

Return to Getting Started