Ethernet Issues please help

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Chickamonga

Ethernet Issues please help

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 4:12 pm

I have an atem1 which wil not accept the ip address from my various locations. Blackmagic gave me presets for ip config, but while using them, I cannot connect locally via Ethernet into Mac book pro. If I change the ip address to correspond to the local one, I cannot get a signal fom the Atem 1. My only connection to the Internet is wireless and very unreliable, so much so that if the venue is crowded, as it was last night, I cannot connect wirelessly either.

DidiKunz

Re: Ethernet Issues please help

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 pm

Please give more info, ip of ATEM subnrt mask etc.

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Mar 17, 2013 2:13 am

Can you not connect to your ATEM at all - or is the problem when you try to configure your ATEM when you are at a venue?

It's a straight up fact that in order to properly configure an ATEM you have to have a pretty reasonable understanding of networking. If you don't have that knowledge - or have someone on your team with that knowledge this is going to be very tedious.

To help - we definitely need much more detailed and precise information about the issues and your particular setup.

If you are going to rely upon their ethernet/internet and you want to connect both the ATEM and your control computer to it - you will need to configure everything to match.

However... unless you are streaming from the same computer you want to control the ATEM with - you can simply connect your ATEM and your laptop/mac with a single ethernet cable directly... and manually configure both the IP address of your control computer and the ATEM to match appropriately (they would have different IP addresses - but they would be on the same subnet).

I also have my own Wireless router - and I configure my ATEM and control computer to work on this - and that has me also be independent of the venue to control the ATEM. Depending on the venue I can sometimes connect the WAN side of the router to the venues network (and then connect to the Internet).

Let's take the case that you want to connect to the venues ethernet (using a wired connection - as nothing else will work for the ATEM).

When you connect your laptop or mac to the venue's network your system will be assigned an IP address that works with that location. Actually three things will be configure on your laptop/mac from their local system. IP Address, Subnet, Gateway.

A example might be

IP: 192.168.1.xxx (your system will be given some random IP address for the xxx)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

You could get something very different... but you will need to make a note of all of them. Let us know what you had for your location.

Now you need to connect your ATEM to their network (I'm presuming you will be connecting via a router/hub/switch or ethernet cable that is directly connected to the venues LAN).

You will need to be assigned a STATIC IP address by the venue for the ATEM. Sometimes you can just "guess" an unused IP address - ping it to see if it is unused - and use that. BUT that is dangerous - as you never know if a machine with that address will be switched on later - in which case everything will stop functioning.

Then you configure the ATEM with that IP address.

e.g.
IP 192.168.1.22
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

Not a lot else I can think of really.

Let us know a little more about your setup.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Xtreemtec

PostSun Mar 17, 2013 4:08 pm

If i understand him right..

He has a different ip range on his Atem then on his internet setup.

So he has to change his IP all the time to use internet or the ATEM.

IF your internet ip is like 192.168.0.20
And your ATEM is 192.168.10.60

Change your ip adres from the ATEM to the same range as your internet. Be aware that only the last number should be different with all devices.

192.168.0.XXX
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:If i understand him right.. He has a different ip range on his Atem then on his internet setup.

Yep. That may or may not be exactly what is needed. He didn't provide sufficient information to tell. My response was more detailed (covered more scenarios - including your example)... but your response may be all that is needed. Hard to tell.

He may be wanting to have his MAC/Laptop connected to the WiFi (for internet access) while also being hard-wired to the ATEM simultaneously. That's another issue alltogether.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started