New Intensity Pro Usr - Looking for suggestion on Camcorders

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

snarkel

New Intensity Pro Usr - Looking for suggestion on Camcorders

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 am

By the end of this week I should be receiving my new Blackmagic Intensity Pro and intend to capture direct from camcorder via the HDMI monitor port. I do not believe that capturing in 1080p should be an issue.

Current PC Setup
i7 3750
16 Gigs DD3
256 Gig SSD Drive
Video Card: NVidia 560 Ti

Seeing that I have not yet purchased an HD camcorder yet I am looking for advice of what I should look for and what I should avoid. Due to budget restraints I will be looking at consumer grade products at this time.

ComputerNovice

Re: New Intensity Pro Usr - Looking for suggestion on Camcor

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 am

I see you said "consumer grade" however a lot of people consider a lot of different price ranges "consumer grade". So how much exactly is the max you'll want to spend?

Almost all consumer cameras now days are AVCHD so you will most likely simply film to SD cards and simply drag your footage from there to edit with.

So honestly your decision will most likely come down to brand, sensor size, # of sensors in the camera and optical zoom distance. Then obviously you'l also want to consider what type of accessories can be added to each camera. Then make your decision based on those things plus budget obviously. Anyways though if you mention the exact max amount I can offer some specific models I think might be good for you. Also please list what type of filming you plan to do with it.

Your listed PC specs shouldn't have any issues editing AVCHD. Although please also list what type of NLE you currently use.

Thanks

snarkel

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 am

NLE is Sony Vegas Pro and price range is up to 600.00 CAN. I don’t have brand loyalty. I was also under the impression that consumer range typically have 1 sensor (usually CCD).

Even though most camcorders do record in AVCHD the intent is to use the monitor port to directly stream, with the intent of bypassing compression.

Accessories I am not concerned about at this time. Optical zoom should be ~30x minimum.

ComputerNovice

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Depending on what you consider consumer then your statement about 1 sensor is fully correct. However several people I work with and know consider cameras that cost about 2k-4k as "consumer" and or "pro-sumer grade". That is why I was wanting clarification about your price point. I'll take a look at some cameras in that price point when I get off work today.

Also are you going to be filming a lot of fast motion shots? The reason I ask is because if you are cmos sensors are probably not a good idea.

snarkel

PostWed Mar 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I highly doubt I will be recording fast motion.
Mostly talking head, hopefully recording for local bands (I already have the audio end covered), possible live streaming. All PC Work
Need to make sure monitor output is 1080p if possible, prefer 30 fps
btw:Muchly Appreciated

Edited for typos

ComputerNovice

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 12:23 am

I'd recommend this camera. I had a hard time finding cameras that met your opitical zoom requirement and still also appeared to have a decent variety of record modes within your price point. It also has a HDMI output which also meets your requested standard list.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... F_R42.html

Hope this helps Good Luck :)

snarkel

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 am

Thank you ComputerNovice. I was actually considering that one based on numerous articles I was reading. I think thats the one I am going to get

Best Regards

Return to Getting Started