record playback from camera with Intensity?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

MVoelker

record playback from camera with Intensity?

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 am

I taped an event with two cameras, one via Intensity to disk, the other onto the camera.
If I hit playback on that other camera with the Intensity hooked up, can I now record onto disk? I want to go that route because then the file formats will be identical (if not the quality).

This may be obvious to you but not to me.

Thanks

PS: I should add that I tried in vain but in my experience there's always something I could be doing wrong. The camera is a consumer Canon Vixia HF11.
I'd also be interested in comments advising me to go the other route, namely to convert in Compressor or by ingesting.

Matt Moon

Re: record playback from camera with Intensity?

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 am

Took me a while to figure out what you were doing.

Is there a reason that, for the camera that's recording via the Intensity, you can't record in AVCHD (the format the *other* Canon is natively recording in)?

What are you using to record via the Intensity?

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

Nothing wrong in capturing from the playback through the camera to the intensity.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

MVoelker

PostSat Mar 23, 2013 11:58 pm

@ mmoon: recording in AVCHD would negate the whole point of going direct to disk as I get the exact codec in which I'm going to edit and benefit, supposedly, from footage that wasn't compressed by the camera.
With AVCHD I first have to convert it to ProRes before it's useable for editing with FCP (very high end PCs with Premiere MAY be able to handle AVCHD but not my system).

@ Liam Kennedy: Thanks for telling me that ingesting from playback does work - it may be a connection issue.

Liam Kennedy

PostSun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 am

Ahh... it was not clear at all (to me) that you are having problems with connecting the camera to the Intensity and seeing a signal. I thought your question was more "philosophical" than "practical. I didn't even realize your two cameras were different either... so I assumed as you could record to disk via the Intensity from one of them... you would be able to do that with the other.

If you are having trouble seeing the video playback from your (other) camera then you've got to go through the standard troubleshooting steps to verify the Intensity Pro is configured to the exact same format that your camera output is set to (or vice/versa).

Good luck.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Return to Getting Started