Disk speed tool for Linux

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

StevenBell

Disk speed tool for Linux

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 am

Is the Blackmagic disk speed test utility available for Linux? I don't see it bundled with the tools I downloaded, and I haven't found any mention of it here. If it does exist, where to I find it? If not, is there another tool I could use to do a similar test?

William Hobson

Re: Disk speed tool for Linux

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm

There is a program I have used called Frametest which will do read/write performance calculation on your disks, through a shell command. It will write frames, with your specifications, to the disk and give you an average MBps reading and an FPS rating as well.

Reuben

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 2:28 am

iozone
http://www.iozone.org/

Be aware that "disk speed" is ambigious. You can get all kinds of different speeds on the same hardware depending on how the read/write tests are conducted. Things like block size, caching and IO method used can have drastic influence on performance.

mjhall

PostWed May 08, 2013 2:33 am

The standard disk testing utility hdparm can be used to test disk speed, as can other utilities like dd.

Any reason they're not appropriate for video?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 08, 2013 5:13 pm

To directly answer your question, no there is no version of Disk Speed Test for Linux currently.

As other posters have mentioned there is already a feature in Linux to do this for you which will work fine for testing drive throughput.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 23, 2013 12:43 am

mjhall wrote:The standard disk testing utility hdparm can be used to test disk speed, as can other utilities like dd.

Any reason they're not appropriate for video?

The hdparm and dd both do single threaded disk I/O and will not give you optimum performance on Linux, especially with RAID arrays.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

svensen

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 6:14 pm

I know it's a very old thread, but it might still be relevant for someone.

The Blackmagic Disk Speed Test for Windows runs perfectly fine on Linux with wine.

Tested version: 3.4.2 on wine 9.0

resourcetrice

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 4:40 pm

I recently came across an invaluable tool in the realm of disk performance analysis – it's called DiskBenchmark. This program provides a comprehensive assessment of read and write performance on your disks through a simple shell command. By configuring the parameters, DiskBenchmark writes frames to the disk and subsequently generates essential metrics such as average MBps and Frames Per Second (FPS) ratings.

This utility proves to be incredibly useful for evaluating the efficiency of your storage devices. By employing DiskBenchmark, you gain insights into the speed and responsiveness of your disks, enabling you to make informed decisions regarding system optimization or upgrades. It's a straightforward yet powerful solution for anyone seeking a quick and reliable assessment of their disk performance.

Return to Getting Started