No Desktop Video Device Detected on new mac and os

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

canitb

No Desktop Video Device Detected on new mac and os

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Hi there,

I recently bought the UltraStudio Mini recorder. I downloaded the newest driver Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.9.11, I have a new Mac Book Pro (2017). Connecting the Mini Recorder via thunderbolt via a thunderbolt to USB-C that is the only way to connect to the Mac. When I start the Desktop Video Setup from applications or System Preferences and connect the recorder I am getting the message: “No Desktop Video Device Detected”. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver several times, also tested to install this on a friends MacBook Pro (mid 2014) and the same thing happens, he also gets “No Desktop Video Device Detected”. We are both running the latest macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3.

How do I get this to work?

Byron Bonifassi

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Desktop Video Device Detected on new mac and os

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 12:56 am

Is the white LED near the Thunderbolt port on the UltraStudio Mini Recorder lighting up? If not, then you are using the incorrect adapter. If it is lighting up, then you probably have to authorize Blackmagic as a developer in your system. Go to your 'Security & Privacy' settings to allow the Blackmagic software to fully install.
Blackmagic Technical Support (US)
support-usa@blackmagicdesign.com

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 3:11 pm

See FAQ Capture & Play Frequently Asked Questions - Capture, Playbackand Stream > Point 4.05
for a detailed description on how to fix No Desktop video device detected onder Siera / High Siera ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

canitb

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 am

Hi there thanks for the comments, I have made some more testing.

With my Macbook Pro 2017 model I am using a certified USB-C to thunderbolt adapeter from apple (_apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMEL2ZM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter) in case you where wondering, so it should be completely functionable apple product to get thunderbolt working on this newest version of the macbook pro.

I have "Allowed apps downloaded from.." Black Magic in the section of the Security & Privacy in settings. This only appeared once and after I allowed it it did not appear again after I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.

I remember testing the Recorder earlier and I have seen the lights on the device lighting up on my last tests, however for this test it is now not lighting up any more. Not sure why this is..?

Just to further test the adapter thing, I got my hands on a Macbook Air (11inch mid 2012) also running High Sierra 10.13.3, this with a firewire port buildt in so no need for the adapter. I also there did the "Allowed apps downloaded from.." Black Magic, so that should be ok. I experienced exactly the same issue there, the device was also not showing any lights on the device.

I also whent on to test to disable the system integration SIP on my system, so now it´s completely disabled. I did a uninstall and reinstall of the driver and still the same thing is happening... not recognizing the device.

Starting to think it´s a hardware issue here.

Any ideas what I should try?

Byron Bonifassi

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 am

Make sure you are using an actual Thunderbolt cable with the lightning bolt icon on both ends of the cable. Also, try verifying the cable by plugging a different Thunderbolt device and see if the device connects. If you are using a verified working cable, then I suggest contacting your regions support office for assistance.
Blackmagic Technical Support (US)
support-usa@blackmagicdesign.com

springtide99

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 pm

I have this same problem. I just received my UltraStudio Mini Recorder yesterday and I can't get it to work. The SD card it came with only has user manuals for different products (Desktop Video manual doesn't include this product, the other manual on the card is for the H264 Pro recorder). I downloaded and installed the 10.9.11 update but that did not fix it. I get "No Desktop Video Device Detected." The light on the UltraStudio Mini Recorder is on, indicating it is connected properly.

Here is my connection chain:
Canon Vixia HFG10 with it's HDMI settings "on", connected to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder with the HDMI cable that came with the camera. UltraStudo Mini Recorder connected to MacBook Air Thunderbolt port with a Thunderbolt 2 cable. The MacBook Air is a Mid-2013 model running High Sierra.

I also tried installing the software and connecting the same way to a Mid-2011 MacBook Air running High Sierra. Same result.

As far as I can tell, I have done everything correctly. I need a solution immediately, or I will have to return this device for a refund. Thanks.

springtide99

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 3:08 am

I contacted Black Magic support and received an answer within a couple of hours, and their solution worked. For anyone having this problem, try these steps:

1) Uninstall Desktop Video.
2) Restart your computer.
3) Re-install Desktop Video 10.9.11 (get it from the website).
4) Restart your computer (you will be prompted to do so), but do NOT open Desktop Video Setup yet.
5) Open up System Preferences.
6) Go to Security and Privacy, then select the General tab.
7) Select "App Store and identified developers” and then “Allow” Blackmagic Design at the bottom of the window.
8) If you still don't see your hardware in Desktop Video Setup, restart your computer once again.

Outstanding support service!

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 am

You're getting something wrong here.

The UltraStudio is neither a USB3 nor a Firewire device as mentioned above.

It only works on Thunderbolt ports with Thunderbolt cables. USB ports and cables or adapters won't work. So get a Thunderbolt cable and connect it to the MacBook. All other cables and ports won't work...

brilla

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks springtide99 for your info but still not working for me.
Uninstalled and installled the app many many times
Switch the order in which I moved from intallation to the security tab and to the Desktop application in all its possible variations
Pretty frustrating.

As soon as I have the money will buy a different video card ... it's been a headache and I've haven't been able to stream nor record many important events ... Not sure I will buy any Blackmagic product again.

If someone comes up with an answer I'll be willing to try again.

Thanks everyone.

High Sierra 13.6
Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Macintosh_10.11.2 (and also tried older updates)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)-Thunderbolt connection

XyisaiX

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Hello, and thank you all for sharing your solutions,

My problem is the same as all of you but a few months ago I solved it as it says springtide99 and it worked perfectly, but every time I connected the Mini Recorder I always came up with an update and updated it and now in this last update, the error appeared. :o
I have 3 mac all with (High Sierra 10.13.6)
1. imac, thunderbolt 2
2. Macbook Pro 2015, Thunderbolt 2 and hdmi
3. Mackbook Pro 2017 Thunderbolt 3 (usb c).
My problem is only in the imac, it does not work anymore. And I no longer get the message of:
Allow "Blackmagic Design at the bottom of the window in Security and Privacity.
I know that there is the problem because it is solved. But that message does not appear to me!
My device if it appears in: Hardware - Thunderbolt - Blackmagic Design.

Already install, uninstall reboot and I did everything. I have 4 Mini Recorders and none I can make it work.

Someone who has solved it? How can I get the message of: Security and Privacity this: Allow "Blackmagic Design at the bottom of the window?

And yes, it is a headache as it says brilla.

Thanks

RafalLukawiecki

PostTue Nov 03, 2020 1:27 pm

This issue has just started happening to me. No changes in the set-up. It was working in the morning, stopped in the afternoon. Looks like the way Blackmagic presents the camera to macOS is flakey.

r3volve

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Hello All,

I’m new to the community/forum and have found a lot of your questions and responses very helpful on how to troubleshoot the issues that I have run into.

With that said, I'm running into an issue that I have not read or come across yet in this thread/topic and or forum.

I have a new MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur) with four Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have two Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini devices and have been using them for quit some time on my older MacBook Pro (late 2015 model) and the two mini devices that worked perfectly fine.

However, on my new MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur) with four Thunderbolt 3 ports, only one Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini device is detected but not both. I have and am using two separate 'Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters (apple branded)' but only one device is being detected. I've tested the two mini devices separately; the LED lights light up and are detected separately. But when I connect both devices only one is recognized and detected. In the Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup window, only one comes up, is detected and works.

I've tried to un-install and re-install the latest software/version from the website but still the same issue. I'm at a lost and really don't know what else to do or try?

Any input, suggestions or help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Nelson

cmalberto

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 5:31 pm

r3volve wrote:Hello All,

I’m new to the community/forum and have found a lot of your questions and responses very helpful on how to troubleshoot the issues that I have run into.

With that said, I'm running into an issue that I have not read or come across yet in this thread/topic and or forum.

I have a new MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur) with four Thunderbolt 3 ports. I have two Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini devices and have been using them for quit some time on my older MacBook Pro (late 2015 model) and the two mini devices that worked perfectly fine.

However, on my new MacBook Pro (macOS Big Sur) with four Thunderbolt 3 ports, only one Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini device is detected but not both. I have and am using two separate 'Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapters (apple branded)' but only one device is being detected. I've tested the two mini devices separately; the LED lights light up and are detected separately. But when I connect both devices only one is recognized and detected. In the Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup window, only one comes up, is detected and works.

I've tried to un-install and re-install the latest software/version from the website but still the same issue. I'm at a lost and really don't know what else to do or try?

Any input, suggestions or help would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Nelson

I guess this is promising that you can get one detected. What version of the BM software are you running? Also have you tried connecting each to to separate sides of the MBP thinking this is two separate controllers - may help hopefully????

--Mickey A

r3volve

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 7:59 pm

[/quote]
I guess this is promising that you can get one detected. What version of the BM software are you running? Also have you tried connecting each to to separate sides of the MBP thinking this is two separate controllers - may help hopefully????

--Mickey A[/quote]

Thanks Mickey, appreciate you taking the time to comment and suggest some trouble shooting tips :) I also sent an email to support and provided them some screen captures. Support replied and suggested the following:

Desktop Video 12 was built with the M1 Macs in mind, it is still in Beta testing.
Let's try uninstalling Desktop Video 12 Beta, and download/install Desktop Video 11.7 instead.
Then re-test the software with both UltraStudios connected.
Desktop Video 11.7 for Mac via Blackmagic Website

Followed their direction and it fixed the issue, I now have both UltraStudios working! Hope this helps those that may run into the same issue.

Regards,
Nelson

Morgan

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 5:23 pm

I wasted with this issue so much time and money until I've found solution from various sources. Here is step by step video tutorial how to fix it, so anybody can benefit from it and don't undergo all that pain as me. Here it is:

Terminal commands: sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/BlackmagicIO.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/DeckLink_Driver.kext
This in theory should work on various macOS and Desktop Video versions, this one was used on Big Sur 11.4 and Desktop Video 12.1

gustofsun

PostMon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 am

Desktop Video 12 was built with the M1 Macs in mind, it is still in Beta testing.
Let's try uninstalling Desktop Video 12 Beta, and download/install Desktop Video 11.7 instead.
Then re-test the software with both UltraStudios connected.
Desktop Video 11.7 for Mac via Blackmagic Website.

Can this be added to the release notes with Desktop Video 12? I spent a few hours this evening trying every help step I could find online to get my (Intel) iMac to recognize my Mini Monitor that had been working for a few years, only to read on here and learn that it was because I updated to the latest version. I downloaded and installed 11.7 and it immediately worked again.

Having this note/disclaimer with the release details might be helpful for others, too.

cmcdowell

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 11:53 pm

What worked for me was uninstalling the software. Disconnecting my thunderbolt chasis from my max pro (Late 2013 running Monterrey). Removing the PCIE card from the chasis, Reinstalling the software, restarting computer, and as its rebooting using a mini usb-b cable and connecting the deck link duo to the mac and it then triggered a pop up asking to update the firmware. Once I did that it was finally being detected by the software.

Terry_Mckinley

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 9:25 am

I followed that YT video and had to stick with Desktop video 12.1 as all the later versions do not place the BlackmagicIO.kext in the folder.
Have got it working on all including Sonnoma Beta with 12.1 on my intel mac
thats for my intensity pro 4k pci card.
Mac Monterey
Windows 10
Amd Rx 6800 XT
Intel I9900k 64gb
Desktop video 12.1
Intensity pro 4k
Resolve Studio 18.5.b3

Return to Getting Started