Problems with long WAV files

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

leoneed27

Problems with long WAV files

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:45 am

I'm trying to capture and master DPX and WAV with HDCAM SR deck.
I discovered that Media Express software is unable to open WAV files with size of more than 4Gb.
Please, give the solution on how to record 1 hour 30 minutes movie with 12 channels of sound to HDCAM SR tape.
I'm using Multibridge Eclipse on Windows7 Ultimate.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: Problems with long WAV files

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Ick...okay. Some of that sounds likely. Wave has an inherent limit to file size around the 4GB area. So it could very well be.

Unfortunately we don't have any segmenting options in Media Express right now that would be able to start a new clip seamlessly which we could use to get around this issue.

I'm curious though, how did you capture the file? Did you use media express and then found the file is corrupted, or did you use some other application to generate the files (which may have used broadcast wave, which is not as encumbered by file size limit).

I'd like to know more about your workflow so we can test this accurately. If the files are fine because they are generated out of another app, then maybe we can work to use this file type. If the files are corrupted, then we'll have to look at something else.

So let me know and I'll see if I can bump this up to QA to test.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

leoneed27

PostSun Sep 23, 2012 5:49 am

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
Media Express does capture long WAV-files and record them to disk. I can open that files in Nuendo. But when I'm trying to open DPX sequence with that WAV-file in Media Express - it hangs. Also, Media Express hang down right after capture of such sequence because it's unable to open WAV-file in its 'playback' section.

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Interesting. So it sounds like it can write the broadcast wave file, but cannot load it or play it back. I talked to one of the engineers and he doesn't remember that feature being included, so there is likely an issue there.

I'll add this to the bug list.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

thelonius

PostThu Jan 03, 2013 12:25 pm

"I'll add this to the bug list." Joshua Helling

That's going to be a loong list!

Return to Getting Started